Last updated: May 24, 2018
On average, older adults require 7 to 9 hours of sleep. When a person enters their senior years, the amount of sleep tends to decrease because they have trouble falling asleep. Although adjustable beds tend to be more expensive because of their adjustable mechanisms, they can provide a significantly higher quality of rest.
In this guide, we find 3 of the best adjustable bed for seniors. The adjustable beds covered in this guide provide an amazing upgrade to regular, standard bed. They allow you to adjust both your head and feet angle. The adjustable beds also come with pre-set positions and special little features that make them worth the money.
Looking for a mattress only? Check out our guide on the best orthopedic mattresses for seniors and individuals with arthritis.
Don’t forget to check out our main best adjustable bed guide!
Most adjustable beds allow for the leg and head to be raised and come with individual bases for two partners for a better sleep experience. The mattresses are also memory foam as they can easily bend as needed, and are made of only the most quality material for the best sleep experience.
The adjustable beds reviewed have the following commonalities:
- All three are made by the same manufacturer: Leggett & Platt
- All mattresses are 12” in height, and the mattress set has a total height of 25” from the ground
- All three sets have four available positions: sleeping flat, raised legs, raised head, or zero-gravity (raised legs and head)
- All come with two backlit remote controllers, with programmable positions and apps
- Each remote controls individual bases
- The sets are heavy and will require at least two people to carry
- Setup is not part of the price displayed on Amazon
- As much as the seller or Leggett & Platt can provide in quality customer service over the phone, the setup and repair ultimately depends on the communication between them and local third-party service companies
- Most reviewers would agree that all three mattresses have been tremendously comfortable and are satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt with their purchases
- The remotes also come with an awesome “snore” button feature that repositions the head (of your partner) to ease snoring
So, without further ado, let’s dive right into the three top rated adjustable bed mattresses reviews for seniors.
Reviews Of The Best Adjustable Beds For Seniors
The S-Cape 2.0 Base with CoolBreeze Mattress is a two piece set with a total height of 25″. The set comes with two 12″ adjustable memory foam mattresses and two contemporary gray patterned 7″ upholstery (adjustable base). The legs are 4″ high and casters are 2″ high. There are two available sizes: queen size and split king.
The high-performance motor is quiet, and the set can support a maximum total weight of 700 pounds. There are two wireless back-lit stand-up remote to control each individual base, with an emergency power off feature. The remote is flat button design, with two programmable custom positions. There is also a dual massage feature.
The “split king” mattress has five layers in total.
- The top layer is a 1″ gel memory foam
- The second layer is 4″ of visco-elastic memory foam
- The third & fourth layers are individual 2″ air flow foam
- The fifth layer is 3″ of high-density polyurethane base foam
There are four main positions you can set up the adjustable base: flat sleep, head up only, feet up only, and zero-gravity sleep (head up and feet up). The WallHugger engineering allows your mattress to be kept a smaller distance from the wall or other objects, such as a night table, without the mattress set hitting the wall when being adjusted.
This product comes with 30 years of limited warranty and is CertiPUR certified. The price on Amazon does not include set up (frames being brought into your home). The package will come with easy-to-follow instructions. You can, however, make an order with a setup where the third-party shipping company will lift the heavy frames to where you want it placed.
The dimensions of both bases for the split king is 76″ by 80″. The queen size dimensions are 60″ by 80″. The bed set comes with their own cover that zips on.
There are two drawbacks reported by reviewers with the split king mattress set, which may have more to do with third-party shipping and repair service companies:
- Reviewers have reported that the customer service representatives were not the highest quality service. If you have any problems with the bed frame, you will be referred to Leggett & Platt (L&P), the bed frame manufacturers for support. You may have to speak to the referred local third-party service company. Shoppers should keep in mind that service repair and customer service is highly dependent on the local companies, and not so much Dynasty or L&P commitment to quality customer care.
- The mattresses and adjustable mattress bases are shipped separately. If shoppers purchase the set without setup (not included in the Amazon price), then they may need extra helping hands to lift the big and heavy bases.
Ordering with the setup is highly recommended and reviewers are glad to have included setup in their purchase. The delivery team is required to make sure everything about the bed bases are working correctly before they leave, including the remote control, programs, and each adjustable position.
Overall, reviewers were very satisfied with the complete adjustable bed system. A few reviewers have updated their Amazon reviews some time since purchase. The mattresses have remained firm and kept their original form. Mechanisms of the adjustable bed frame continue to function without hiccups. It took most reviewers three to seven days for the mattresses to fully expand after unpacking.
The mattress contours to your body. Purchasers have not noticed any problems with the gap between the mattresses. Reviewers also enjoy the massage feature, powerful enough to relieve back pain and sore legs.
The Prodigy 2.0 Base with Miranda Mattress is a mattress set with two 12″ mattress, each with five layers of foam.
- The top layer is 1.5″ of gel infused foam, quilted into the cover for cool pressure relief
- The second layer is 3″ of Serene foam that allows air and moisture to move through the material and give you the fresh mattress feel
- The third layer is 1″ of Firm Eco Flex foam for stability and weight distribution, without the sinking feeling of having so many individual layers
- The fourth layer is 1″ of Soft Eco Flex foam for assisting in softening your experience jumping into the mattress
- The final layer at the bottom is 5.5″ of Eco Flex Support Core foam, which supports your entire body to keep your spine and neck properly aligned.
The Serene Foam is five times more supportive than standard memory foam commonly found in lower price classes, making it one of the best adjustable bed for elderly individuals. This layer also helps with regulating temperature by dissipating heat without build up.
The base of the adjustable bed is 11 inches minimum with legs that can be adjusted for a total base height of 17 inches. The mattress feel is medium plush and is CertiPUR certified.
Prodigy 2.0 has a number of cool features. It comes with 4-port USB hub on the side of the base, head tilt and under bed lighting that can be dimmed. With two separate remotes to control each individual base, shoppers can sleep however they wish without affecting their partner.
The remote offers two programmable positions (four on the app). There is also a “snore” button, which can be quite helpful for partners who snore at night as the base gently raises the head at a push of a button without waking them up. The backlit remote controller also comes with a convenient table-top holder.
One awesome feature of the bed base is the sleep timer function that allows you to transition from one position to another at a specified time. There is also a “gentle wake” alarm for both a light massage and an audible alarm so you can wake up without feeling groggy. The mattress set can support a total maximum weight of 700 pounds. The warranty is 20 years. The bed strap kit is sold separately.
There haven’t been many complaints by reviewers. The few reviewers that gave the mattress a poor rating reported the mattress to be uncomfortable or asking for a refund or exchange after 6 months from sale because the mattress was causing back and neck problems.
Overall, the mechanisms for adjusting the base are very quiet. The mattress is reported to be very comfortable and customer service care was great. Most reviewers would agree that the cooling gels did their jobs to provide a nice temperature sleep without heat build up. The light under the bed was also a nice touch for most reviewers.
One drawback of the bed base is how much it weighs. If you order a split king size, each base weigh roughly 150 pounds and would be a two-person job for carrying to the bedroom.
How it sleeps: The Cool Gel Mattress is a top pick by Amazon. Described as a medium firm comfort, we find many reviewers reporting the mattress to be more of a firm comfort level. A large part of this has to do with the construction with a relatively thin top layer of memory foam followed by regular support foams underneath. The Cool Gel is suitable if you are a heavy-set sleeper or sleep on your back. The drawback is the mattress may be a little too firm for light-set sleepers and side sleepers, and may not be as cool temperature as some people may like.
The Comfort Base does an excellent job at providing adjustable comfort. With programmable positions, you can set up a variety of custom positions suited to you and your partner. An important thing to keep in mind is the bed base does not have wall-hugging movement, so the bed may hit your head board if you have one.
Base height: Three different heights available:
- 4 inches,
- 6.5 inches, or
- Combined together for 10.5 inches.
Including the mattress, your bed height can be either 16, 18.5, or 22.5 inches.
Mattress thickness: 12 inches
Mattress type: Cool gel memory foam.
Mattress construction: Mattress is made with three layers. We have 2.5 inches of cool gel memory foam as top layer, 3 inches of gel support foam for a little bounce and support, and 6.5 inches of high-density base foam for deep compression support. Since the mattress is made with foam, you should expect off-gassing and odor as the bed needs a few days to air out.
Bed base construction: The bed base includes rail at the feet of the bed to hold the mattress in place as you change positions. It’s important to keep in mind that the bed base comes with two built-in USB ports located on the right side when sleeping. Be sure to leave some space from the wall to access the USB ports. The bed base does arrive in pieces, but can easily be assembled. We recommend un-boxing where you intend to setup the bed and follow the manual provided.
Position settings: There are 4 programmable pre-set positions:
- TV/PC (must be programmed)
- Lounge (upper body lifted, legs flat)
- Zero-gravity (upper body lifted, legs lifted), and
You can program pre-set positions by holding down the button of your choice for 5 seconds, when a person avatar will appear on the screen of the remote controller.
Lighting: The only lighting available is the screen section of the remote controller. The buttons are not backlit and do not have raised/indented surfaces, which can make it difficult to find the button you want to press.
Massage: The massagers are located at the head and feet areas. There are three speeds available to choose from.
Additional info: There are four sizes available:
- Twin XL
The bed base is heavy and will require two people to move. The mattress and bed base may arrive separately.
Warranty: The bed base comes with a 3-year warranty while the mattress comes with a 25-year warranty.
Sleepy Trial: The return policy is 30 days, backed by Amazon.
Overall: Classic Brands offer a competitively awesome value in this bed. The mattress and bed base both does the job providing remote-adjusted resting positions and a comfortable sleep. The remote controller and mattress design could be improved, with back-lit buttons for seeing what to press in the dark and a better breathable mattress construction. The lack of wall-hugging may also turn some buyers away as the head part of the bed need some extra space.
Want More Choices?
Here are the latest best selling adjustable beds on Amazon:
Our Final Thoughts
Finding the best adjustable bed for seniors involve taking your research and understanding of beds and mattresses to the next level. Elderly individuals have special needs and are prone to being more sensitive, waking up sore and fatigue when they already sleep less than adulthood.
At MySleepyFerret, we are grateful for you to visit us and we do our best to conduct the best quality research and provide you with reasonable options for a higher quality of sleep.
In this guide, we cover 3 of the top rated adjustable beds on Amazon. Please keep in mind they are very heavy and purchasers should request setup assistance for their adjustable bed set.
The adjustable bed sets listed are also memory foam mattresses for easy bend and contouring to the curves of your body. Each adjustable bed comes with two individual bases, one for you and for your partner. Adjustable bed sets come with mechanisms that allow for adjusting the position of your body during sleep with the touch of a remote. They also include massages, gentle alarms with vibration or audible alarms, and programmable positions.