Snoring is a common problem that affects both males and females. According to studies, it regularly affects 24% of adult women and 40% of adult men. In the United States alone, snoring occurs among 37 million people. This often neglected problem gets more serious as people get older.
The good thing that there is an effective tool out there which can help both you and your partner—the anti snoring pillow. This kind of pillow can make you breathe easier at night by aligning your jaw and neck properly. It can also conform to the shape of your head which typical pillows cannot do. Moreover, some regular pillows may increase headaches and neck & back pains according to orthopedic surgeon Andrew Hecht.
Choosing the right anti snoring pillow can be a bit tricky. An increasing number of models are constantly introduced to the market. Some remedy snoring only for a few weeks, but cannot last for a year or so. Others are made of high-end materials but are too expensive. The challenges of picking a long-lasting one that can help you sleep better at night.
RELATED: Best Mattresses For Snoring
- 1 Considerations When Shopping For The Best Anti-Snoring Pillow
- 2 Reviews of The Top 3 Pillows For Snoring
- 3 Want More Choices?
- 4 Our Final Thoughts
Considerations When Shopping For The Best Anti-Snoring Pillow
What is your sleeping position?
Changing positions at night are quite common. While many do not notice it, we tend to be restless and move our position at least once during the night. Knowing your preferred sleep position is also very important since it will make you more comfortable sleeping with your new pillow.
Wedge designs work best for those who sleep on their backs, while contour designs are usually tailored for those who sleep on the side. CPAP pillows are fitted for both back, stomach, and side sleepers.
The right type (design) for you
There are various kinds of anti snoring pillows—wedge, contour, and CPAP. Each one of them has a specific purpose.
Wedge anti snoring pillows have triangular shapes which enable the sleeper to rest in an elevated position. It lifts the head a few inches and usually has built-in air channels for proper breathing. Doctors also recommend this kind of pillow to those who suffer from acid reflux.
Contour pillows are rectangular and have curves to fit the neck properly. They prevent the head from rolling and usually have adjustable posture supports to avoid neck pain. This kind of pillow keeps the neck and head at the same level to allow better air circulation. J-shaped and L-shaped full body contour pillows are also available for those who are pregnant.
CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) pillows are specifically designed to accommodate sleepers who need to wear masks for their snoring treatment. It can also be rotated in order to adjust to the sleeper’s neck and face. Doctors recommend CPAP to those who have severe snoring problems. In addition, CPAP pillows can still be used even if you don’t wear an anti snoring mask.
Choosing the right material
It is also important to carefully consider the material from which your choice of anti snore pillow is made. Some people have asthma or allergies triggered by certain materials and there is no point in stopping the snoring if you keep on coughing the next day.
Wool, cotton, down, feather, memory foam, and latex foam are the most common materials used to stuff an anti snoring pillow nowadays. Wool and cotton are hypoallergenic so this is recommended to those who have allergies and prefer a firm place to rest their heads on. Down and feather, on the other hand, are not as firm as wool and cotton, yet they are dense enough to give you the support you need. Memory foams continuously adjust to the shape of the sleeper’s head so this is useful to those who move a lot while sleeping. Lastly, latex foam is the firmest and most dense type of material which has an instant bounce-back effect.
It’s big enough to roll your head
Anti snore pillows are usually made for adults. However, there are junior size pillows which are smaller than the standardized ones which can be used by teenagers or children. Women normally have to use small to medium sizes, while men have to use medium or large. It is also good to choose a pillow which is more flexible and handy if you are traveling a lot. This way, you can bring the pillow wherever you want.
Reviews of The Top 3 Pillows For Snoring
#1. InteVision Wedge Pillow
- Two Layer Design plus an adjustable memory foam headrest pillow in one package: This latest version is made of 2-INCH memory foam layer on top of a firm base foam, also adding a height-adjustable memory foam headrest to provide better support for your neck and head. The end result is the most comfortable wedge pillow system on the market. U.S. Patented
- Designed to help patients with acid reflux, snoring, allergies, or any other condition which breathing may be impaired in supine position
- It can also be used when you are recommeded by a health professional to sleep in an elevated position after surgery. It helps reduce back pain, providing a healthy, more comfortable night's sleep.
- Comes with a machine-washable, high quality cover (Size: 25" x 24" x 12"). Note: based on the number of people who want to purchase extra pillowcases for this wedge pillow, we have released an optional 400 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton pillowcase on Amazon (sold separately and available on Amazon).
- Every product comes with the trademark InteVision on its packaging (Net product weight: 4.7 lbs). Note: this wedge pillow is placed in a vacuum sealed package. It will regain its intended shape after opening the package.
The InteVision Pillow is a well-reviewed product that has been one of the bestseller in Amazon’s “Wedge and Body Positioners” category for a long time. It boasts a two-layer design– memory foam at the top layer and a firm base for optimum air circulation. Effectively preventing snoring, it also aids those who suffer from acid reflux and neck & back pain. Moreover, a removable machine-washable hypoallergenic cover comes with this amazing product.
Sheila was looking for a wedge cushion to help her stop snoring and she found this product to be a definitely good buy. People said to her that wedge pillows tend to get hot, but this one’s not bad at all. She further stated, “And the pillow cover that comes with it is excellent. It washed well and was easy to put back on.”
Brion, another reviewer who purchased this product said, “No problems with initial comfort, rolling over during sleep, etc… And no morning stiffness in the neck, shoulder or back, as might be expected.” He also declared that the InteVision Wedge gave aspiring results since it significantly reduced snoring and acid reflux within a couple of days.
Some customers claim that this product first came as an oddly shaped pillow with a bit of smell. However, it was able to inflate in less than 24 hours and the odor goes away within a few days.
#2. Sleep Innovations Contour Pillow
- BED PILLOW: This pillow for neck and shoulder pain provides therapeutic support so you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.
- MEMORY FOAM: The therapeutic design of this contour memory foam pillow adapts to your head, neck and shoulders to provide the enhanced support and gentle alignment you need.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: Choose between the higher and lower contours for the support that feels best. The contour pillow design helps reduce pain and stiffness - a great back and side sleeper pillow.
- MADE IN THE USA: The foam for our bed pillows is proudly made in the USA and comes with a 5 year warranty.
With almost 4,000 customer reviews, the Sleep Innovations Pillow has been well-received for minimizing snoring. It is a result of more than 20 years of research and features a therapeutic design that effectively adjusts to the sleeper’s head and neck. In addition, it allows the shoulder and muscles to relax all night long for enhanced breathing.
Ron has been using this contouring design for quite a long time now and thinks that this is the best kind of pillow he has ever slept on. He sleeps on his side, and the Sleep Innovations Contour Pillow puts his head on the right position. Ron also enthusiastically stated, “This one is well built with just the right amount of memory foam for your head to sink comfortably into it without suffocating, and you wake up without a crick in your neck like so many pillows cause.”
According to user HappyGranny, this pillow made her kids and husband glad since she no longer snores because of it. She said,”I no longer wake up with the head or neck pain… In fact, I simply can’t sleep on any other pillow (and no one wants me to sleep on any other) I like it so much that I just ordered another one for my camp.”
Some reviews stated that since this pillow has a smaller hump for the neck and another bigger one, only one side can be used. This does not seem to be a major problem since the product is designed for side sleepers and most of them stated that being able to use one side only actually gave them a better rest.
#3. Pur-Sleep FaceFit Adjustable Pillow
- Fill Material – natural buckwheat hulls and shredded foam
- Easily adjust thickness, shape, and softness (add or remove foam)
- Gusset Side Sleeper, also adjustable for back and even stomach sleeping
- Zipper + Extra Filling = Will Never Go Flat
- Pillow now ships pre-filled and over-stuffed (6 gallons of filling)
The Pur-Sleep FaceFit Pillow has a 4.4 out of 5 star rating in Amazon. It comes with extra filling so buyers can adjust the softness and shape according to their needs. CPAPfit CPAP Pillow has a buckwheat hull design and is enclosed by a three-layer quilted cover case. Furthermore, it is suitable for any sleeping position—back, side, or stomach.
Based on the review of user ZynWoof, this amazing product totally adjusted to the needs of his husband who is a CPAP mask wearer and a chronic neck pain victim. It evidently reduced his neck pain by 80% in just two days.
Chris who suffered from severe snoring due to sleep apnea stated, “Around the time I got the pillow, I have been sleeping better than I have in years… I can scoop out a little hollow for my head and have it at a bit of an angle, then make a little depression for my mask. I’ve also been falling asleep ridiculously fast and I love it.”
Some customers mentioned that this product tends to retain some heat. However, it does not retain enough to disrupt their sleep.
Want More Choices?
Want more options? Here are the latest best selling anti-snore pillows on Amazon:
Our Final Thoughts
This type of pillow effectively helps people not only to stop snoring, but relieves them of neck and back pain as well. Before buying this kind or product, you have to know the right size (based on age & sex), your preferred sleeping position (back, side, or stomach), the material from it is made from (cotton, memory foam, latex foam, etc.), and the anti-snoring design that may be most comfortable for you (wedge, contour, and CPAP).
InteVision Wedge Pillow is one of the best options out there due to its ergonomic two-layer design, high-end washable case, and the ability to decrease snoring in just a small amount of time. It also boasts other benefits such as reducing neck pain and acid reflux.