You don’t need to be lonely to own a body pillow. Sleeping with the best body pillow can provide a lot of physical comfort. Women in pregnancy and post-pregnancy tend to use all sorts of different shapes and size cushions for back, side, belly, neck, and head support. Men and their beer bellies can benefit from the pillow, too.
These types of pillows are also used after injuries or surgery for support, relieving pressure points and muscle tension with its unique contour. Body pillows are useful and comfortable for many different sleeping positions including back and side sleepers.
They won’t meet everybody’s expectations. Sometimes, they can be too rigid (for maintaining its shape and firmness) or uncomfortable to use (having the wrong shape, too much warmth from full body contact).
However, we have done the research and are here to save you the trouble having to dig around. In this guide, we walk you through how to choose the perfect, best rated body pillow.
Reviews Of The Best Body Pillows
- The first and true original Snoogle
- Snoogle takes the place of multiple pillows to help support hips, back, neck, and tummy
- Patented design was developed by a registered Nurse and mom
- Enjoy cuddle comfort and support without the extra body heat.
- Snoogle original has a sham-style removable cover that is machine washable
If you have trouble sleeping at night or want a little love to snuggle, then this pillow is perfect for you. The Leachco Snoogle Total is one of the go-to full body pillows because of its soft and cozy material. Designed as a C-shape, the pillow conforms to your body and provide a full-back and leg, knees, and ankle support. Instead of buying two regular pillows f Instead of using two or more pillows, this product will satisfy the common points where one usually needs a pillow on or against.
Reviewer RainNW is one of many satisfied owners and has this to say: “I bought this for myself, but my wife immediately stole it…make sure you buy two, otherwise you will never see it again.”
Another reviewer found the product uncomfortable at first, but after a few uses, he had the best sleep in his life.
Although, it may be difficult to move the pillow around while you are laying down. Once you find yourself in a comfortable sleep position, the Leachco Snoogle will hold you gently for sleep.
- COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE: This hypoallergenic, medium density body pillow measures 20” x 54” and takes the place of multiple bulky pillows to support your hips, back, neck, and stomach, making it an excellent choice for expectant mothers, dorm rooms, kids bedrooms, and more!
- COMPLETE ALLERGEN PROTECTION: If you wake up congested, it could be allergens in your pillows. AllerEase’s 100% cotton allergen barrier medium density body pillow is stuffed with a hypoallergenic polyester fill that offers complete barrier protection against dust, pollen, pet dander and other household allergens.
- BREATHABLE: This down alternative body pillow is made of 100% cotton which allows air to pass through the fabric, keeping you cool and comfortable all-night long.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Machine wash and dry this hypoallergenic body pillow for easy care! To clean: machine wash warm in non-chlorine bleach as needed and tumble dry low.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – AllerEase is the leading brand of allergen barrier bedding and this cotton, multi-functional body pillow is allergist recommended.
It can be difficult when you’re having allergic reactions to your bedding. Luckily, Aller-Ease Cotton is built to be your hypoallergenic choice. Pollen and pet dander will have difficulty attaching itself to this pillow. Dust and dirt particles will avoid this bad boy. Aller-Ease is a full body I-shape pillow that is a simple white design that is easy to wash. This budget pillow also comes with a 2-year manufacturer warranty to protect you from any defects.
“I have slept beautifully every single night…I’ve never had such consistency or comfort before,” says one reviewer with back and neck pain because of degenerative disk disease.
A surprising price for a quality material, money-conscious reviewers felt this product was one of the best hypoallergenic pillows on the market. It feels like resting with a cloud between your arms. It is a great weapon for pillow fights. However, some reviewers did mention they felt the product was too soft for their taste.
- The first and true original Back 'N Belly
- Can help provide equal support for back and belly at the same time
- No repositioning pillows during the night, simply turn from side to side
- Can help provide support for neutral positioning
- Sham-style cover is removable and washable
We know we wrote about Leachco once already, but we can’t find a better pillow other than the Leachco Back ‘N Belly. Shaped like the letter U, the symmetrical design provides equal support to the back and tummy at the same time. It’s unique hour-glass inner curves provide a snug to your belly, sides, and ankle, without the uncomfortable pressure around your chest and inner thighs.
One cause of hip pain is when you sleep with your legs lifted too high while your spine is flat on your bed. Another cause for hip pain is when you sleep on your side, but your knees are touching, creating downward pressure on your hips. The great thing about the Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Pillow hour-glass design is that it aligns your hips for a neutral joint positioning, relieving any pressure and providing the right amount of thickness without feeling uncomfortably firm.
This product is designed to be ideal for a wide range of physical pain and health conditions, such as sciatica, gastric reflux, congestion, fibromyalgia, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Considerations When Shopping For A Body Pillow
Different shaped pillows support different parts of your body. One popular design is the straight length dimension. It can be a flat rectangle or rounded cylinder. Rounded cylinder pillows are much firmer and can provide healthy support to the legs, knees, and ankles. These pillows are generally five to six feet in length. If you enjoy snuggling to your sleeping partner, you can replace him or her with this pillow.
C-shape pillows are also popular, especially for women in maternity. These pillows can also be shaped like the letter J. The pillows provide a lot of back and full body support. If you find yourself or your partner up from tossing and turning, these pillows can keep you steady.
U-shape pillows are also a great alternative. Most are flexible enough to bend on the ends so that you can wrap your legs around them. They are designed so that both sides of your body is given support by the pillow. Again, if you find yourself tossing and turning, U-shape pillows can also help prevent you from waking you or your partner up. One drawback is they do take up quite a bit of space.
Most pillows are not the same length as standard sleeping pillows; they are usually more than twice the regular length. However, you can find yourself a smaller-sized pillow. However, a larger cushion would provide more support and possibilities for different uses. For example, women may use it to support their back and holding their infant during breastfeeding.
Need a pillow for pregnancy? We have written a guide on the best pregnancy pillows. Although the guide is focused on solving back pain, much of the product information is up to date and relevant for maternity in general.
Whichever your size you feel is best is up to you. Body pillows will generally provide you a decent length of your body.
There are a wide variety of filling types for body pillows:
- Synthetic is the most common filling. It is cheap, hypoallergenic, and easy to care. They also last much longer than most fillings because of their durability.
- Cotton is resilient and can retain heat, without the sweating and moisture build up. Also, hypoallergenic and great to use as stuffing because of their lofty, yet soft comfort. They may have a shorter lifespan as a natural material.
- Memory foam adjusts to your body physique and it is easy to maintain. They can be much firmer compared to other fillings. If you find yourself with hot flashes or night sweating, memory foam may not be the best option for you.
- Feather and Down are materials from geese and ducks. They are all natural and do very well to keep you warm, with loft and fluffiness. These are very common pillow fillings and are highly preferred for colder climates because of how well they retain warmth. (It’s no wonder geese and ducks use them!). Feather and down fillings are extremely soft and may not provide enough firmness. It should also be noted that this type of filling may be expensive and can cause allergies.
- Down-alternative use synthetic polyester filling that provide the same feel of feather and down pillows, minus the allergies. They are microbial and hypoallergenic because of their synthetic nature.
Our Final Thoughts
Body pillows aren’t necessarily for the lonely. They can be used to relieve back pain, orthopedic problems, hip pain, and support infants and mothers in maternity. You can get the full body experience during your sleep with just one pillow as opposed to two regular ones. Some shoppers find themselves buying two because their partner steals their pillow!
Our recommended (and top rated) body pillow is the Leachco Snoogle Total Pillow. Comfortable and firm, but soft and easy to sleep on. Its design provide enough length and support to different parts of your body, without getting too much in the way of your sleep. It’s versatile in use, can bend and flex in whatever sleep position you need, and is soft with its 100% cotton cover. Although it’s popular with pregnant women, men can also comfortable use this ivory white (or five other) color pillow.