We don’t deserve our dogs! They love and care for us unconditionally. The least we can do is make the few years of their lives comfortable and fun. Getting the right dog bed is step 1 of many to show our love and care for them. In this buyers guide, we look at what makes a great dog bed and review and recommend the best ones for your pet.
Table of Contents
What Makes A Great Dog Bed?
Here are a few important points we found that makes a bed great for our loving doggies:
- It has to be the right fit. Especially important if you own a medium, large, or giant breed dog since too small means less comfortable sleep. The dog bed we review should at least have multiple sizes available so you can pick the right one for your pet. This guide by Cuteness.com has a list to help figure out whether your dog is a medium or large breed. In short, medium is 20 to 60 pounds at maturity. Large is 60 to 90 pounds. Giant is 100 pounds and over. Another thing you might consider relating to size is whether the dog bed should fit in your pet’s crate or not.
- Easy to wash and clean. We do a lot for our pets already. The last thing we want to do is to buy something to only have it tossed the moment our dogs poop, pee, or dirty up their bed. In a dog bed, we want removable covers that is machine washable and dryer friendly. They must be waterproof, too!
- Non-skid bottoms. Optional, but a nice plus. Although most pet dogs tend to rest on their beds, if your pet enjoys running and hopping around like crazy, you may want to consider a non-slip base option. In our research, this feature had little bearing as we concern ourselves more with pet comfort and general reviewer opinion.
- Super cozy and comfortable! This will be a little tough to sought out. Marketing-wise, most brands will say their bed can relieve pressure and is orthopedic for pets. How is this proven? We can’t say. What we can tell you is that there is nothing particularly special about the materials used in most dog beds. However, if your pet has arthritis (or not), a dog bed with memory foam will be the better choice. It also goes without saying we want your pet to be super cozy and comfortable on their brand new bed!
- Waterproof optional, but highly preferable and recommended! For the mature dogs, waterproof may not be necessary. For the newborns or younger ones, we might have an issue. A waterproof dog bed is a reassuring feature as younger dogs are prone to accidents, either peeing in their beds or getting soiled and bringing it all back to their beds. (Those silly, darn cuties!) Waterproof helps guard against the soiling of the filling inside the bed which lets them continue to use their beds for a long, long time.
Reviews of the Best Dog BedSoft quality microsuede bed
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases breathability
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 48" x 30" dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
- Soft microsuede cover can be removed and laundered - machine wash cold to hot with bedding on gentle cycle; tumble dry low
- Bed measures 46 inches by 28 inches and is suggested for large dog breeds, such as Labrador Retrievers and Boxers (see Sizing Guide below); 3-year warranty
Our review: The Brindle Dog Bed is one of the more simple and elegant dog beds we found. It comes in multiple colors and sizes (with measurements) that you can pick and choose from. The inside of the bed is made with shredded memory foam. Memory foam by itself is a great full-body supporter as it contours to the shape of the dog’s body. Using shredded provides more cushion and less pressure on pressure points, while improving the breathability of the inside of the bed for a cooler doggy sleep.
The cover is made with soft microsuede, which unlike microfiber, is stain-proof and one of the easiest fabrics to keep clean. They breathe well like cotton, feels cozy during cold times and cool during hot weathers, and they’re incredibly soft with what some say is a luxurious feel. Microsuede oes not use any “loopings” when woven, so stray pet hairs can’t get matted into the fabric (important if your dog sheds a massive amount!). They also do a great job absorbing odor so it doesn’t start smelling bad around your dog. The removable cover is also machine washable and dryer friendly, unzipping from underneath a fabric flap to remove.
Overall, we love the Brindle Dog Bed for its simple, flat design with enough cushion and filling to make it friendly for dogs to hop and run around on, as well as sleep and rest comfortably. What surprised us when we first came across this dog bed was how thick it was. For some reason, judging from the photos on the product webpage, we thought it would be 1.5 to 2 inches thick. Turns out the dog bed is 3 inches, which is even better because there is more cushion and padding!
Alternatively, you might be interested in their velour cover with waterproof liner found here: http://amzn.to/2EHgHdB. The Brindle Waterproof Designer Dog Bed is made with 4 inches of memory foam, a removable and easy-to-wash waterproof zippered cover, and can do well supporting bigger and heavier dog breeds.
Simple Block Of Comfy Bed
- Milliard 4" Dog Bed offers the perfect combination of support with superior durability for the ultimate pet bed.
- Memory foam achieves maximum relief and therapeutic comfort for arthritis and aching joints. It also contours perfectly to your pet's body for maximum comfort and Orthopedic support. Memory foam is certified by CertiPUR-US.
- Milliard dog beds are made only from the highest quality materials, ensuring a longer lasting and more comfortable product.
- Cover features a Non-slip bottom and is completely machine washable and dryable for easy care.
- Get the luxurious memory foam dog bed that will last longer, feel better and that your dog is guaranteed to love. Dog bed measures 40in.x35in.x4in.
Our review: The Milliard Dog bed is another favorite of ours, using two layers of foam to relieve pressure and provide cushion for your pet. The top 2-inch layer is made from a comfortably dense memory foam for cushion and to relieve aching and pressure points. The bottom 2-inch layer is high-density base foam to give the entire dog bed its shape and foundation, so the dog laying on the bed won’t feel the floor and fully supporting the dog’s weight without sinking through the bed.
The cover is made from polyester, with a non-slip dotted bottom side. Polyester isn’t anything particular dramatic or special, but it does act as a very durable fabric that can help with wear, tear, and bites from your pet. What’s great is that underneath the polyester is lined with a TPU coating that blocks out water. If you have newborn or young puppers that might have accidents in their bed, you can rest assured it won’t soak through and soil the foams and make them unusable. The cover is removable to toss into machine wash and dry as an easy way to clean. The zipper of the cover zip along two sides only, which makes it a little easier to put the foams back into its cover because it retains its shape a little. We found the non-slip bottom to not be the greatest for tiles and hardwood floor, but it does its job on carpet providing enough friction to prevent slipping. This wasn’t too much of a problem as our human editor testers prefer to lay on the dog bed all day long and rest than slide around on it.
Overall, the Milliard Dog Bed is a good choice for the doggies in the world that need a little more cushion, either really big or with some physical disabilities. The memory foam provide adequate full body support and the waterproof cover is easy to remove and wash. We definitely give the Milliard Dog Bed two thumbs and two paws up.
Side note: if you purchase this product and find yourself in need a replacement cover, they can be found here: http://amzn.to/2ElK7Ak.
Stylish bolsters for head rest and nestling
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Recycled 'green' polyfill support bolsters are generously filled. (iii) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support and comfort. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your décor. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. S: 25 x 20 x 5.5 Inches / L: 36 x 28 x 9 Inches / XL: 44 x 34 x 10 Inches / Jumbo: 50 x 40 x 13 Inches
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM/LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS. GREAT FOR ARTHRITIS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inch. Can easily hold 100+ pounds. (ii) [Search PetFusion large pet blanket for new matching blanket]
- EASY ASSEMBLY to PEACE OF MIND: (i) 'Bolsters' (couch arms) pre-loaded in fabric cover, simply insert memory foam base and zip closed. (ii) 12 month warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect
Our review: Right off the bat, the PetFushion stood out to us as a unique bed design, providing stylish 3-sided bolsters that lets your pets comfortably rest their heads on top, against, or underneath. As former pre-domesticated den animals, the bolsters act like a nice little mini-walls for dogs to sit or lay down within and feel safe. The bolsters are filled with recycled polyfill filled up in full to provide a decent cushion, and a soft polyester and cotton twill cover. Twill is a weaving pattern identifiable with its diagonal lines, where each weave is interlaced with each other where the front side of the fabric is very durable.
The dog bed is made of a single 4-inch thick memory foam base. Memory foam helps alleviate pressure very well, especially when some body heat is applied, so pets can rest comfortably without discomfort. The memory foam wasn’t anything particularly special, but it was very dense and supportive. It is nice and thick, and can easily support a dog over 100 pounds.
The cover, including the bolsters, are both waterproof and removable, protecting the memory foam filling from getting soiled and making it easy to clean with machine washing and drying. The bottom side of the PetFushion Dog Bed has a non-skin material, oth waterproof and tear resistant. You can also simply spot clean as needed, and hair from dog shedding won’t get trapped on the smooth fabric surface.
A huge drawback we found is that because the bolsters stick out and the cover is made to be waterproof, it isn’t as durable as the other recommended dog beds. It can be torn and chewed apart, so we recommend the PetFushion Dog Bed for pets that have been trained on biting and chewing.
Overall, the PetFushion brings a nice piece of dog bed work to the market. We and our puppies are a huge fan of the bolsters. Often times they rest their heads on top like a pillow and they occasionally snuggle underneath. The 3-sided mini-blockade also provides a little comfort zone where your pet can feel a little safe. The thick memory foam also gives a great cushioned sleeping surface with a little more give (softness) than most designs, but can retain its shape much better without going flat. The cover is waterproof and removable for easy cleaning, which makes it easy to clean and prevent the bed from getting soiled.
Value packed cool sleep bed
- WATERPROOF LINER + 2 EXTERNAL COVERS - This bed comes with x1 Water proof internal zipper cover to protect the memory foam, x1 Heavy Duty washable Navy Blue Denim external zipper cover + x1 Free bonus MicroSuede brown external case and x1 gel infused memory foam pad.
- DURABLE WASHABLE COVER - Removable 100% cotton jeans denim cover with strong zipper in gusset style and extra stitching to prolong the life of the pet bed, wash after wash. Machine washable / dry-able.
- MEMORY FOAM ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT - Top rated quality large 41x27x4 inches hypoallergenic 3.2 lbs high density 100% solid memory foam pad provides the support and relieves the pain of arthritis. Pad will not flatten overtime to promote better sleep and healthy joint for your dogs.
- COOLING LUXURIOUS COMFORT - Better than average human grade mattress with conforming therapeutic comfort. The combined benefits of pressure point relief, alignment support, cooler sleeping surface and less allergens come together to create the ideal environment for deeper and more restful sleep.
- HIGHEST QUALITY - Premium materials, quality construction and smart features providing many years of comfort and support with excellent value for your money. Try it yourself and you will love it too. Fits into L 42x28 Inches crate size.
Our review: An order of the DogBed4Less Dog Bed comes with four items: three covers and one 4-inch memory foam insert pad. One of the covers is a waterproof zippered cover meant to be an inner cover. The other two is 1 blue jeans denim case and 1 microsuede brown case. Having two covers is a nice little plus, as replacement covers tend to be around 20-30% of the cost of a dog bed with cover.
So, first off the memory foam. It is a typical high-density memory foam, so it does a great job at providing a cushioned surface with pressure relief. It is noticeably denser than other types of foam. What’s great is that the memory foam is also infused with gel which helps provide a cooler sleep, especially important for warm climates and hot weather days.
All the cases use zipper, have eyelid flaps to protect the zipper from biting and knawing, and are machine washable and dryer friendly. The internal cover seems to be made with a thin layer of PUL. It wasn’t completely waterproof, but it did still stop much of the water from soaking through to the memory foam. The external cover (denim blue/brown microsuede) also helps soak up and prevent much of the fluids from getting through to the memory foam.
Overall, we love the DogBed4Less Dog Bed as a nice value order. The two covers that come with one order is a nice bonus, letting you style the bed however the dog likes. We’re a huge fan of the brown microsuede which also has anti-skid bottom to prevent sliding. The memory foam is a solid piece of support, and very slightly denser than most memory foam beds used in dog beds which is great for older dogs with arthritis or physical ailments. The internal cover also adds a little assurance from the bed getting soiled if your pet is having accidents. There is no parts sticking out which makes it a little difficult for pets to chew and damage the bed.