Buying the right pillow can become a daunting task because you don’t know where to start. Luckily, down alternative pillows are one of the better material types of pillows available, and for good reason. Down alternatives are hypoallergenic and won’t trigger any feather allergies, they are soft and warm just like down filling, and they are an inexpensive option for a pillow.
Table of Contents
What Makes a Great Down Alternative Pillow?
When shopping for a down alternative pillow, there are a few attributes that make a pillow a great choice for purchase:
- Fluffy and cushy
- Sufficient amount of filling
- No initial odor
- Suitable for pillow fights
Cushy, plush, and cloud-like experience. Down and down alternative alike are known to be soft pillows that are best described as cloud-like experience. A great down alternative pillow has sufficient filling to provide some amount of loft (albeit down alternative pillows are not known for thickness). The filling will provide the cushion and the cover will provide a somewhat flat surface for your head to rest on top.
As much filling as much as possible. This one is difficult to measure. However, a down alternative pillow that is thick and of reasonable size will contain more filling ounce. Filling compress extremely well so it may not be the best judgement of a quality pillow. More filling will always better than less for a pillow to comfortably support your neck.
This is not to be confused with fill power. Fill power is not a good indication of the amount of filling a pillow offers as polyfiber can compress well.
Initial odor is next to none. Unlike the popular memory foam material, down alternative does not have a dissuading odor when unpackaged. This initial odor, also known as off-gassing, is the break down of VOCs, or volatile organic compounds. It’s most common in foam and adhesive material, such as from a fresh coat of paint or a brand new car. Down alternative pillows should not have any materials that emit VOCs.
Actually hypoallergenic. Most shoppers purchasing a down alternative pillow are looking for similar traits of a down pillow, without the feather allergies. If a down alternative pillow uses any actual animal material such as feather, then the pillow may not be hypoallergenic and can trigger allergies.
Suitable for close combat pillow fights. One of the great attributes of a down alternative pillow is its lightweight nature and ease of use for pillow fights. On average, down alternative pillows weigh roughly 2 to 3 pounds unlike memory foam pillows which can weigh up to 5 pounds. The weightlessness of the pillow allow more hits per minute compared to its more popular counterpart, making down alternative pillows suitable for those who value smacking their enemies several time vs. a single power hit.
Reviews of the Best Down Alternative Pillow
- WARNING: COUNTERFEIT SELLERS! Do not buy from any other brand other than BECKHAM LUXURY LINENS. BECKHAM LUXURY LINENS is the sole seller of this product. Other sellers will show extended ship times, impossible pricing, and will never ship the product! Make sure that the SOLD BY is BECKHAM LUXURY when you checkout.
- SUPER PLUSH MATERIAL - The Beckham Luxury Linens Gel-Filled Fiber Pillows are crafted in super plush gel fiber that puts all other standard pillows to shame! They are expertly tailored to ensure maximum comfort for any and all sleeping positions.
- DUST MITE, MOLD & MILDEW RESISTANT- Our pillows are dust mite, mold, and mildew resistant! Additionally, they are completely allergen and chemical free. They are the perfect choice for those suffering from asthma, allergies, and other respiratory issues.
- FADE RESISTANT & STAIN RESISTANT - The Beckham Luxury Linens Gel-Filled Fiber Pillows are fade resistant and stain resistant, so you'll never have to worry! Our pillows are machine washable, and will always feel and look like new!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We are so confident in the quality of our product that we offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee! If you are unsatisfied, simply contact us to return the product for a full refund.
The Beckham Pillow is a gel-filled fiber pillow that comes in a pack of two pillows. This pillow is stylish without covers with silver horizontal stripes alternating with white stripes. The pillow use 100% cotton cover with 240 in thread count. The pillow is relatively short in length that, along with its no-shift construction, prevent filling from unevenly spreading to one side of the pillow.
The Beckham Hotel Collection Pillow has high review ratings and shoppers with all sleeping positions have found the pillow to be comfortable. The pillow has no smell, come in an airtight bag, and puffed up right away.
What you might like about the Beckham Pillow:
- No-shift construction for a consistently puffy pillow
- Gel-filling with microfiber
- Few inches fatter than competing pillows
- 100% cotton cover for warmth and breathability
- Stylish design
- One order comes with two pillows
- TOP QUALITY: 100% Cotton Cover, 300 Thread Count. 1.5" Gusset - For Maximum Loft.
- ULTRA SOFT FIBER - Soft As Down, Yet Firm Enough - This Pillow Is the Perfect Balance between Firm and Squishy, Great Neck Support.
- Not Vacuum Sealed like Other Pillows, Pillow Came in a Clear Plastic Carrying Case That Would Be Great for Storage and Travel.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - Fiber Will Stay In Place, Machine Wash On A Cool Setting.
- RIGHT CHOICE BEDDING'S PILLOW IS A MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE!!
The Mastertex Pillow is a 100% microfiber filled pillow with many available sizes. What makes the Mastertex Pillow unique is the gusset design of the pillow. The 1.5-inch gusset is an extra piece of material that helps expand and give structure to the pillow. It is the little side panel along the edges of the pillow that gives the filling more space to move around for a consistent comfort.
The Mastertex also comes with a grid-like window pane jacquard pattern cover that is 100% cotton and has a thread count of 300. The pillow is shipped in a clear plastic carrying case for travel and storage, and comes with a 1 year warranty. It is machine washable and dryer friendly.
What you might like about the Mastertex Pillow:
- 1.5-inch gusset side panels for loft
- Fluffy and relatively firm pillow
- Cotton cover with a window pane jacquard pattern
- Can order one or two pillows
- Clear plastic carrying case
- 1 year warranty to protect you from manufacturer defects
- ANTI-ALLERGY SLEEPER: Scientifically designed to provide the loft of real goose down feathers but without the organic dust and allergens that keep you up at night. The faux goose down is made with specially processed pure white spun polyester clusters that are distributed with even density throughout the pillow for the finest comfort.
- BEST SLEEP OF YOUR LIFE: Start treating yourself to the luxe sleep your body deserves. This is a cushioned and supportive pillow for all types of sleepers. Whether you like to sleep on your back, stomach or side, experience a pillow that feels like it was made just for you.
- PREMIUM HOTEL QUALITY: Have you tried recreating that hotel pillow feel but can't quite find the right one for your bed? We supply to some of the best hotels in the hospitality industry - the Marriott, New York Palace & Hilton Hotels. Now you can take the royal experience home with you.
- MADE IN AMERICA: Your comfort is our priority. We are a family business that only uses the finest quality materials so you wake up refreshed. We started this company to relieve our own chronic back pain and now it's our mission to help you find a pillow that changes your life.
- YOU CHOOSE THE FIRMNESS: 300 thread count striped ticking, purple piping and 22 oz faux down fill. Note: Because this is a down alternative pillow it is extremely soft - even the firm fill. If you do not like your pillows exceptionally soft and want a sturdy pillow, consider our Duchess which has feathers that increase the loft and firmness. For help choosing a Queen Anne pillow, see the Pillow Finder in the images section.
The Queen Anne Heavenly Down Pillow is a hotel pillow that supply the best hotels in the hospitality industry. Hotels such as the Marriott, New York Palace, and Hilton Hotels use this pillow. The stylish purple outline with alternative silver-white stripe is a unique appealing design. The construct of the pillow prevent filling from shifting unevenly inside and provide cushioned supportive head rest for sleep.
The pillow is filled with faux goose down with polyester clusters for consistent density. The filling is microdenier fiber spun from 100% polyester. Microdenier, compared to standard denier fabric, provide a sheer, soft, and silky fiber filling. Using microdenier fiber means the Queen Anne Heavenly Down Pillow provide a soft and high quality cloud-like pillow experience.
The pillow is available in a wide selection of firmness and sizes. It is made in the USA and
What you might like about the Digital Decor Pillow:
- Purple outline with alternative silver-white stripe style
- Faux goose down filling with microdenier polyester clusters
- Available selection of firmness and sizes
- Supplies the best hotels – Marriott, New York Palace, Hilton Hotels
- Made in the USA
- BREATHABLE AND HYPOALLERGENIC: breathable, hypoallergenic and dense cotton shell for your sound sleep through the night
- EXQUISITE DESIGN: neat double stitching prevents loose threads; nice and dense fabric gives the pillow a luxurious look
- ODOR-FREE: no noted chemical odor, vacuum sealed package ensures the pillows have no odor from moisture, mildew or other contamination
- QUALITY MATERIAL: 28 ounces polyester fiberfill is lofty, soft and pliable; 233 thread count 100% cotton shell has high density and thus downproof
- RECOVERABLE AND COMFORTABLE: quickly return to normal size 20x30 inches after releasing from the vacuum sealed package, slap the pillow regularly to retain its shape after long use; provides comfortable firmness and support for your neck
The Langria Pillow is a pillow with polyester fiberfill and 100% cotton cover. The pillow has 28 ounces of filling, slightly above average relative to other pillows, and has a thread count cover of 233. The pillow is highly regarded by reviewers and for good reason: it is engineered to prevent filling shifting unevenly, feels luxurious, and hypoallergenic. The pillow use a double stitching construct for extra durability along the edges. The pillow is odor-free and is vacuum sealed in packages for delivery.
The pillow is relatively soft and cloudy in head rest experience, but is firm to provide decent loft to relieve pressure along the neck and spine, without being too high to curve the spine uncomfortably.
What you might like about the Langria Pillow:
- Soft, cloudy, with decent loft and firmness
- 100% cotton cover for minimal sound
- Double stitch construct for durability
- Knife edge corner design (rounded) so there is annoying pointy corners
- Pack Includes 2 queen / standard size pillows - Comfortable for all sleep positions
- Filling 100% Hypoallergenic Virgin Polyester Filling, 25oz 4D Micro Fiber in each pillow.
- Pillows measures 20 inches x 26 inches, pillows for sleeping
- Pillows are compressed packed; opening the plastic wrap will fluff up pillows; please allow 24 hours for them to fluff up completely
- Machine wash in the gentle cycle with cold water and sun dry or tumble dry on low when need
The SmartHome Bedding Pillow is a polyester fiber filling pillow with a 50-50 cotton and polyester cover. The 50% polyester, unusual for a down alternative pillow, provide more durability in the stitching of the pillow. Although it doesn’t guarantee that it can survive a pet tearing or clawing the pillow, polyester provide a longer lifespan for the pillow. The pillow is filled with 25 ounce of microfiber, which is slightly above average for a down alternative pillow.
The pillow is not as fluffy as our other recommended pillows, but it is highly durable and is similar to the ones used by hotels. The pillows are machine washable and dryer friendly (on low). The SmartHome Bedding Pillow is made in the USA.
What you might like about the SmartHome Bedding Pillow:
- 50% cotton, 50% polyester cover
- Comes in a pack of two pillows
- Simple white design
- Made in the USA
- Not a super fluffy pillow, but big and comfy
Our Final Thoughts
There are a range of down alternative pillows available to consumers. The pillows are soft, cuddly, and hypoallergenic. Being fluffy and lightweight, the pillows can provide a good night’s rest with loft that can avoid straining your neck and slouching your spine. One recent addition to down alternative pillows is the addition of gel filling to provide a cooler sleep surface for those who sleep hot at night. Down alternative pillows mould easily as you need and can support a wide variety of sleepers in need of a pillow with less loft.
We hope you found this handy pillow guide useful and the research we have done for you to help you find the right pillow for you.
Curious about other types of pillows out there? Check out our other buyers guides: