Mattress come in all shapes, sizes and feels. However, many are built to suit everyone. Many popular beds on the market range between plush top feel to medium-firmness, rarely firm or extra firm. In this guide, we review the top 3 best extra firm mattress that provide an the firmness you deserve.
Considerations When Shopping For The Best Extra Firm Mattress
- How would you characterize your current bed? Is it plush feel? Too soft? Or medium firmness?
- Have you tried laying on an extra firm or firm bed? If you haven’t yet, run over to a bedding store and ask for their extra firm beds to test out.
- Do you have any pain that might be caused by your current bed? Have you eliminated other possibilities that could be causing aches and pains? A trip to a physician’s office or chiropractor could help you find the cause of your physical pain. Health conditions can cause restless nights.
- Have you tried sleeping on the floor? Lay down a layer or two of blankets and sleep on it. If sleeping on the floor is considerably more comfortable than on your mattress, you might want to consider a Japanese futon.
- Are you sleeping with a partner? Many times, couples have mismatched mattress expectations. This is something to be discussed with your sleeping partner. Keep in mind you can always purchase a mattress topper or mattress pad to soften your bed as needed.
OTHER GUIDES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN:
- How To Make A Mattress More Firm
- The Top 7 Best Firm Mattresses for 2018
- The Top 10 Best Soft Mattresses for 2018
So, without further ado, here are the best extra firm mattress reviews:
Reviews of the Best Extra Firm Mattress
The top surface of the mattress: The cover is made with bamboo fiber. Bamboo keeps you free from harmful toxins, an excellent moisture absorbent material, has hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and dust mite resistant properties. The cover is zipper removable for wash and replaced as needed. Underneath this cover is New Zealand Wool. This natural and sustainable material wicks away moisture and acts as a natural fire barrier. Wool is also known to regulate body temperature and, while you sleep, the mattress top will help keep you cool when it’s hot and warm when it’s cold.
Layers inside the mattress: There are three layers to the Brentwood Infused Memory Foam Mattress.
- The top layer is 1 inch of gel memory foam. Ideal for couples, gel memory foam allows for separate motions so your partner can sleep well throughout the night with minimal disturbance.
- The second layer is a 1-inch comfort layer that provides a bit more cushion for relieving pressure points and contouring to the curves of your body.
- The final layer is a 5-inch base foam that helps absorb your weight and evenly distributes it, so there is less pressure on different parts of your body. The base also provides an added firmness to help you rest better at night, without any sinking and unevenness for your body. The base layer also uses open-cell technology for better airflow, keeping the mattress temperature cooler and more comfortable for its sleepers.
Noteworthy information: The Brentwood comes in four “RV short” sizes: twin, full, queen, and king. RV short are not as full as regular size beds. They are ideal for RV vehicles. However, the mattress works very well in smaller or irregular-sized rooms, while still accommodating a person or two (depending on the size shoppers pick). The mattress is also CertiPur-US certified and free of any toxins and comes with a 25-year warranty. It is made in the USA.
The product comes in four available sizes: twin, full, queen, king. It also has two available heights: 10-inch and 12-inch. In the 12-inch, the top two layers each receive an additional inch. If you are looking for an extra firm sleeping surface, less thick means less cushion can provide a firmer surface.
The top surface of the mattress: The top layer is a foam and microfiber quilted cover with celliant fabric. Microfiber is a synthetic, hypoallergenic yarn that feels like cotton, but is much more durable and breathes just as well. The celliant fabric is a material scientifically known to improve blood circulation and oxygen intake of the skin.
Layers inside the mattress: There are three layers of this product.
- The top layer is 0.5 inch of comfort foam layer. This layer helps cushion and conform to the curves of your body. Although 0.5 inch seems tiny, it does well with the next layer to relieve pressure points without ground on firmness.
- The second layer is 1 inch of high-density foam support layer. High-density foam provides stability and firmness for a comfortable sleep, without letting yourself sink too far into the mattress. The layer also provides some space between yourself and the coils of the last layer.
- The bottom layer is 7.5-inch base layer of coils. The springs provide the firmness and bounce for your sleep. With minimal sinkage, you can rest comfortably flat. The coils also provide minimal motion transfer so you and your sleeping partner can avoid disturbing each other during the night.
Noteworthy information: The Zinus Performance Plus comes with a 10-year warranty. The mattresses use the Support Plus iCoil Springs system with 10% more individually wrapped iCoils in the layers for extra support and minimal motion transfer. The product is also CertiPUR-US certified.
The top surface of the mattress: The cover is a cotton blend fabric quilted over 0.75” of memory foam. Cotton is a material that allows for breathability so that moisture and heat can escape.
Layers inside the mattress: The Brooklyn Bedding has three layers.
- The first layer is 2 inches of Talalay latex. Talalay is a great top layer because of its bounciness. Talalay has a consistent cell structure that provides consistency in support across the entire layer.
- The second layer is 2 inches of Dunlop latex. Dunlop is a much denser type of foam compared to Talalay, providing some extra firmness for the surface area.
- The bottom layer is 6 inches of high-density polyfoam, which offers firm support for its sleepers.
Noteworthy information: The Brooklyn Bedding comes with a 120-day no hassle, free return shipping policy. The mattress is made in the USA and comes with a 10-year warranty.
Benefits Of Owning An Extra Firm Mattresses
- No sagging or sinking when you hop into the bed and lay down on your back or sides
- Firmness that provides proper spine and neck alignment so sleepers can avoid developing chronic back pain, neck pain, or wake up from a grouchy sleep
- No soreness as your body rests on a flat surface as opposed to awkward positions for eight hours each night, caused by curved body postures
- Deeper sleep and rest as you can sleep comfortably without soreness or torment from awkward sleep positions
Our Final Thoughts
Finding the best extra firm mattress is not an easy task. Most mattresses labelled as “firm” or “medium firm” are never firm enough for our particular need.
However, there are certain steps you can take to ensure you can find the best bed for yourself. In this guide, we cover the top rated extra firm mattresses on the market. We also include the benefits of sleeping on an extra firm surface as well as the considerations you should make before purchasing a new mattress.