Futons can be great for any room setting. Their multi-functional nature makes them a great piece of furniture for any setting. They can make for comfortable sofas for daytime sitting and can be converted into a bed for special guests.
In this article, we look at what makes a great futon mattress, and review the best futon mattresses and futon sets on the market.
Reviews of the Best Futon Mattresses
- Independently, superbly pocketed 15-gauge pocket coils that help provide equal weight distribution by contouring to the curves of your body and relieving pressure points along your neck, shoulders, back and hips.
- Quality foam and polyester layering between cover and coils for optimal comfort. Microfiber mattress cover.
- Fits any standard full-size futon frame (sold separately).
- Foam in this mattress is made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants, ozone depleters, mercury, lead and heavy metals. Meets federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633. Foam is low in VOC emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 PPM). Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Safety Product Commission
- Mattress dimensions: 75"L x 54"W x 8"H. Net weight: 59 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 59"L x 13"W x 13"H. Gross weight: 71 lbs.
The DHP Coil Futon Mattress is one of the top selling futon mattresses on Amazon. It has a great pressure relieving construction, with 15-gauge coils independently encased for a “customized” sleeping surface support. On both ends of the coils, we find foam and polyester padding to provide durability and a cushioned support for comfort.
The mattress comes in both 6 to 8 inches in thickness providing sufficient comfort for most sleepers. It’s thick and firm, but also very comfortable with miniature innerspring coil support. The cover is also made with microfiber polyester, giving the mattress some durability and a smooth feeling surface.
The mattress is CertiPUR-US certified for safe use and low chemical emissions. It also comes in several colors:
- chocolate brown
- charcoal, and
- Lace Tufted for Superior Comfort
- 8-Inch Mattress Features 288 Bonnel Innerspring Unit
- Foam and Fiber Cover Top and Bottom of Innerspring
- Medium Support
- Made in the USA
The Serta Cypress Mattress is built with 288 Bonnel innerspring units, an older spring design that’s proven its comfort since the 19th century. The Bonnel spring unit is 6 inches in thickness, providing a sort of cushioned net bounce when you lay on the mattress. Both sides of the spring is cushioned with 1 inch of foam and 3 layers of cotton fiber blend as a cover for a smooth surface feel.
The cover uses unique lace tufted weaving with a true box casing construction that provides a surface that is comfortable in touch and resilient in design. The cover combines multiple grades of cotton with polyester, a unique durable upholstery blend called “cottonique” that feels better and last longer than typical cotton batting found in clothing attire.
The mattress is also made in the USA and its foams are CertiPUR-US certified for low volatile organic compound chemical emissions and safe use. The mattress comes in two sizes: full and queen, and is available in six colors:
- khaki, and
- natural white
- REVERSIBLE GEL MEMORY FOAM – mattress is dual sided and made from high quality gel memory foam for support, optimal comfort, and long mattress life. Memory foam is made from polyurethane gel foam
- STANDARD FULL SIZE – fits any standard Full futon frame, sold separately. Futon mattress is 75 inches long, 54 inches wide and 8 inches thick
- COTTON TWILL COVER – Futon mattress is covered with cotton twill for years of use. Multiple color options.
- DURABLE – Futon mattress is reversible and made to be used in a futon folded in upright sofa position or flat in a bed position.
- MADE IN THE USA – handmade mattress is proudly made in the US following federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633.
The Mozaic Futon Mattress is our memory foam futon mattress pick, combining cooling gel with a cotton fiber blend for amazing pressure relief, cushioned support and a more temperature-regulated futon sleeping surface. The Mozaic is a great choice for people who are heavy and in need of relieving pressure.
The mattress is 8 inches in thickness, making it a suitable choice for futon frames. The cover feels very durable and smooth, using a poly-cotton fabric and a cotton twill weaving pattern for sturdiness and resistance against wrinkles and creases.
The Mozaic Futon Mattress is made in the USA and can fit any full-size futon frames. It is also available in eight different colors:
- hunter green
- navy, and
- Modern design with tufted details that will ensure the mattress retains its original shape.
- Cover wipes clean with a damp cloth
- This mattress has achieved green guard gold certification
- Made with 100% Polyester cover (microfiber) with a 100 % Polyester fiber pad filling.
- Fits full size futon frames, available in multiple colours
Another DHP futon mattress makes the list with its Value Polyester Futon Mattress. This DHP futon mattress makes for a great value mattress under $100. It offers a soft and plush-like surface as its inside is filled with 100% polyester fiber padding for cushioned support and pressure relief. Its cover uses a turf detail modern design, with microfiber polyester for durability and to help ensure the mattress keeps its shape.
The cover is easy to clean with a damp cloth and spot wiping as needed. The mattress is Greenguard Gold Certified for low chemical emissions and safe use. Greenguard Gold Certification is similar to CertiPUR-US Certification as a third-party company making sure mattresses are safe to use by Americans.
At the time of writing, this mattress is only available in 6 inches, which would make the mattress somewhat firm despite its soft filling. It is available in three colors:
- indigo blue, and
No products found.
The Classic Brands Coil Mattress is another excellent choice if you enjoy innerspring mattresses. This mattress uses individually wrapped pocketed coils 6 inches thick to provide an isolated, customized support and feel. Coupled with a durable and comfortable plush velour quilted cover, the Classic Brands Futon Mattress feels amazing and comfortable.
The cover is made with 100% microfiber polyester, allowing for an easy cleaning with a damp cloth in case it gets dirty. Underneath, we find 1 inch of quality fiber foam padding the pocketed coils on both sides for cushioned support. The mattress is also made easy to fold and bounces back into shape when you need to switch to sofa-mode for sitting and lounging.
The mattress also comes with a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty to protect you from any defective construction of the innersprings. The 8-inch mattress is full-size and can fit on any full-size futon frame. It is also available in two colors: brown and black.
- Brand new floor futon mattress, made in USA. Fabric material: 100% polyester. The cover is not allowed to be removed for washing.
- Color Black. Single bed size 3" thick x 30" wide x 80" long. Approx weight of 13 pounds.
- Mattress filled with 90% white cotton batting, 5% polyester fiber batting and resilient foam.
- Cleaning instructions: We always recommend using any mattress cover sheet to put all over the mattress for protecting, spot cleaned only, then airing under the sunny day, or putting closed to the opened windows for airing and drying.
- Meets flame retardant requirements by laws. We ship the mattress in a smaller shipping box to lower the shipping rate. After opening the package, mattress is corrugated, the size is maybe slightly shorter in width and length. Original size will be regained after stretching and pulling out 2 ends longer.
Our guide completes incomplete without mentioning Japanese futon mattresses as an option. The Rolling Bed Japanese Futon Mattress can act as both a seating futon and a bed. Namely used for bedding, the Rolling Bed Futon Mattress can be easily stored and taken out in the same way we use a sleeping bag.
This futon mattress is made with 100% polyester for a highly durable and long-lasting use. It is roughly 3 inches in thickness, which can make it feel much more firm as you have less cushion between yourself and the firm. This makes the mattress a great choice if you find yourself with back pain or, as one reviewer used with great success, for sciatica pain. The mattress is filled with cotton, a layer of polyester fiber, and a layer of foam to provide a comfortable cushion surface.
It is made in the USA and can be great to roll out as temporary bedding or a place to sit and relax on the floor. The drawback is Japanese futon mattresses are not suitable for futon frames because of their thin and soft-padded design.The Rolling Bed Futon Mattress does only come in black, and is one of Amazon’s Top Choices.
No products found.
The Emoor Classe Futon Mattress is another favorite Japanese futon with a great selection of sizes and color schemes. Emoor is one of the more popular brands for Japanese futons with its focus on bedding products complimentary to its flagship futon mattress.
The futon mattress uses a cover that is soft and hygroscopic, wicking away moisture from your body for a cooler rest. The cover is made with cotton fabric with polyester filling that has been anti-tick and anti-bacterial treated. It has also been deodorized for minimal smell so you can use immediately.
You can also order a tatami mat with the futon mattress to provide extra floor cushion and help keep the mattress clean. The mattress is available in multiple sizes:
- twin (eco-packing)
- California queen, and
It is also available in multiple colors:
- milk white
- wine, and
What Makes A Great Futon Mattress?
Comfortable for daytime use and nighttime rest: Depending on the thickness and material filling, your futon mattress feel and firmness can vary. Ideally, we want a mattress that you and your guests can sleep comfortably on. This means a futon mattress that uses quality foam, microfiber polyester filling, or innerspring is important.
Durable and long-lasting: We want to ensure your futon mattress can be used for several years. With the right material and construction, the durability of your futon bed can last longer while providing you with the right amount of cushioned comfort and support.
The right size for your futon: It goes without saying we need a futon mattress that fits your futon frame. A mattress too small or too big can make for uncomfortable use as the mattress doesn’t fit your frame and cannot be used at its best.
Aesthetically pleasing: Not all futon mattresses are made the same. As much as we want a mattress that feels great and comfortable, we also care about how it fits well in the room where the futon is placed. Having multiple colors and styles available is important, and much of the futon mattresses we have selected have choices available for you. If it’s an eye-sore color or design, then that won’t do!