Looking for the best mattress for athletes? What makes a mattress built for champions are the materials used. In this article, we review four of the top mattresses for athletes, and what makes them different from every other mattress.
Table of Contents
Reviews Of The Best Mattress For Athletes
The Bear makes beds specifically designed for athletes. The mattress cover is made of a special material called Celliant Technology that converts body heat into infrared energy. The benefit of infrared energy is shown in a number of scientific research studies to have a positive effect on sleep as it increases oxygenation of blood in your body. This, in turn, helps your muscles recover faster and maintain a comfortable internal body temperature.
The mattress is made of four layers of foam:
- The top layer is 1” of graphite gel-infused foam. Graphite gel creates a cooling surface that is 7 times cooler than most memory foam. A cooler surface promotes a deeper and restful sleep when the body needs it the most for fast recovery.
- The two mid layers is 2.5″ of quick response foam. These two foams help bounce-back and adjust to the movements of sleepers. Traditional memory foam is known to have a slow response time to adjust to the movement of your body, thus leaving impressions that can create a nuisance feeling during sleep. These layers of the Bear Mattress adjusts quick enough to push back as your body moves to create a comfortable, flat surface for you to rest without being woken up by uncomfortable sinkholes.
- The bottom base layer is 6.5″ of breathable support foam that gives the mattress its shape and support to keep the spine of your body properly aligned.
The materials used is CertiPUR-US certified, is made in the USA and comes with a 10-year warranty. The bed is designed to have a medium to medium-firm feel and, because of its use of foam, creates minimal motion transfer to keep you and your sleeping partner from disturbing each other.
Most reviewers of this product have agreed they can sleep very well. One reviewer did, however, mention that their mattress “seems a little too cushy” while another reported “slightly firmer than other competitors”.
Majority of reviewers reported that they felt better after sleeping on the bed because it supports their back very well, and would recommend this product to a friend without hesitation.
The PerformaSleep is the new mattress on the block that hasn’t picked up traction yet on the market. However, the PerformaSleep is one of the best mattresses for athletes. Created to ease muscle tension and speed up muscle recovery, this bed has its top layer infused with copper and cooling gel for deep, restful sleep. Copper is known for its health benefits for muscle recovery and is a commonly found material in joint sleeves. Copper also has antimicrobial and antiviral properties for a hygienic sleep.
There are three layers of foam to the PerformaSleep Mattress:
- The first layer is the CopperCool gel foam, which is the foam layer infused with copper and cooling gel
- The second layer is a foam made from something called Enersorb technology. The foam can conform to the body quickly and helps prevent sinkholes and the feeling of getting trapped. The bounce-back and push-back are especially important for someone that may move around quite often during their sleep.
- The last layer is a high-density foam base layer for giving your mattress some longevity and give you a strong support for your body during sleep
The product has great airflow throughout, is made in the USA, and is CertiPUR-US certified. The PerformaSleep also comes with a 10-year warranty.
There is only one review on the PerformaSleep on Amazon so we scrounged the web to find other sources, bloggers, reviewers of the mattress. Based on other sources, they have noticed a difference in their sleep. Reviewers enjoyed a deeper sleep, woken up less stiff in the morning, and is overall more comfy than when using their previous mattresses. The bed does not make indentations so there is no sinking in.
The Lull is a memory foam mattress that comes with a risk-free 100-night trial (free returns) when bought on Amazon. Although this mattress is not specifically designed for athletes, it makes for one heck of a memory foam bed for several reasons.
The removable cover is made of 90% polyester and 10% rayon. Rayon is a synthetically made fiber that is moisture absorbent, antibacterial, and much more breathable compared to cotton. The polyester provides a soft, touch feel as well as durability and elasticity for easy wash and stays on during sleep.
There are three layers to the Lull Mattress:
- The top layer is 1.5” of visco-elastic memory foam with gel polymer. Gel polymer evenly disperses heat so that it does not get trapped underneath your body. This gives you a better, cooling sleep experience
- The middle layer is 1.5” of transitional layer, with a proprietary blend of premium foam to prevent sinkage and give you the bounce-back feel without any irritating body impressions
- The bottom layer is 7” of high-density polyurethane core support foam that gives your body the support for proper alignment and comfortable sleep
One of the known benefits of the Lull is its edge support. When you sit down or lay close to the edges of your bed, you will not have a terrible sink and fall off your bed. This is great for those who prefer to sleep closer to the edge of their beds (myself included). This memory foam mattress is also great for those with tender muscles and have trouble sleeping because their current bed is too firm. If you are looking for a mattress that is not extra firm and has a soft surface, the Lull is a ideal for you.mattress
Many reviewers would agree they are happy with their Lull Mattress. It is easy to set up, there is no smell, and “is a perfect mix of soft and supportive’ sleep. Most reviewers have had an amazing experience with the company and their customer support as well and loved the 100-day risk-free trial period.
Choosing The Right Mattress For Athletes
Here are a few attributes we would like you to keep in mind when picking out a suitable mattress for yourself:
- Start fundamentally by giving yourself the best sleep
- Having a cool and comfortable mattress will contribute to a better sleep, thus, faster recovery
- Special ingredients to promote oxygenation are a huge bonus to faster recovery
- The required length for taller individuals
- A design to provide a firm, targeted support to your core should be considered
- MUST be CertiPUR certified for your safety
Fortunately, the mattresses we selected below meet these characteristics. The products reviewed are also selected to be a part of this guide based on the following:
- Have a proven track record of providing solid sleep, based on what other physically active reviewers say about the product
- Designed with athletes and athletic bodies in mind
- Designed for comfort and proper body and spine alignment support
- Use certifiably safe materials for sleep
Want more options? Here are the latest best selling mattresses for athletes on Amazon:
Having a bed designed specifically for your physical needs is important. Although there are mattresses like the Bear and PerformaSleep that are designed for athletes, ultimately you should pick a mattress that you can sleep the most comfortable on. During quality rest, after all, is when your body slowly begins to recover.
Keep an eye out for beds for athletes is a great idea. However, memory foam and innerspring mattresses for the general mass can do just as great of a job for the best sleep. As long as a brand is well received by the public, the mattress can do just as well for you.