Having back problems? A peaceful and comfortable night’s sleep starts with the choice of a good mattress. With many brands, types, sizes and designs on the market, picking one can be daunting. It’s important to choose a mattress of good quality and premium comfort, especially if you suffer from back pains.
Sleeping With Back Pain
Pain in the back, especially the lower back, can be life altering. Constant pain, especially during times that matter most, such as your sleep, can be difficult to manage. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to reduce back pain in your sleep:
- Be conscious of your sleep posture by trying to place a pillow underneath your knees so your spine maintains its curve. Back pain can be caused by awkward sleep positions.
- Change the way you sleep by considering sleeping on your side while placing a pillow between your legs. Keep in mind to keep your neck and spine well aligned with a proper pillow height.
- Pick up the healthy habit of stretching before bed, especially your back muscles.
- Make a lifestyle change and avoid overexerting your back a few hours before bed.
- Get yourself checked out by a medical profession because back pain can be linked to other underlying problems and can only be taken care of by a doctor.
- Start with fundamentals and change your mattress!
RELATED: How To Pick The Right Mattress
When it comes to back pain during sleep, it’s important to understand what your personal preference on firmness. Consider trying out mattresses are a local store, reading online reviews such as our guide, and opinions of other reviewers on Amazon.
The featured image is the Tuft & Needle mattress. One of the top rated mattress on the market, its designed to relieve pressure around your body by evenly distributing your weight across your bed. It’s firm enough so that you won’t sleep in awkward curves and help maintain your spine alignment. It also comes with a 100-night trial so that you can test the mattress with minimal risk.
We understand there is a lot of information out there, so we at My Sleepy Ferret did our best to sort out only the best of the best mattresses for taking care of a bad back for you.
So, without further ado, here are five of the best mattress for back problems.
Review of the Best Mattresses for Back Pain
- ADAPTIVE FOAM: Constructed with freshly poured T&N Adaptive foam, this mattress provides a bouncy yet supportive feel perfect for all sleeping positions. Our foam allows us to compress our mattress to fit into a small box and ships quickly
- HIGH QUALITY: Our high grade foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam which cause you to "sink in and feel stuck" and "sleep hot." The T&N Adaptive foam sleeps cool, is just the right mix of "not too soft, and not too hard", and offers great pressure relief and "localized bounce" so you won't disturb your sleeping partner
- NO RISK: Mattress has a full refund guarantee with a 100 Night Sleep Trial, plus an honest 10 year limited warranty you can actually use (no gimmicks!). Over 95percentage of our customers keep their mattress and refer it to others
- NOTE: Please allow up to 72 hours for the mattress to fully expand and for any potential odor to dissipate
- Adjustable Frames
The Tuft & Needle is a 10-inch full mattress designed for comfort for the general mass and arguably is one of the best mattress for your back. It’s neither too hard nor too soft, evenly distributing your weight for total comfort. Unlike latex and memory foam used in most mattresses, the pressure relief technique makes your sleep even better.
The bounce feature supports localized movements that occur at night. This means that you and your partner can enjoy undisturbed sleep. With these amazing features, your back pains will be no more, letting you enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep.
The mattress comes with 100-night trials, meaning you get to sleep on it and test if it’s working for you. If you’re not happy and bought this bed on Amazon, you can return it within the 100-day period from the date of receipt.
Most reviewers with back problems would agree the T&N Mattress did its job in taking away some back pain. There are a few reviewers who reported to have no more back pain after switching their mattress to Turf & Needle. Many reviewers are happy with its size, comfort level, and firmness. Reviewers were also happy with the 100-night trial to test their mattress with minimal risk.
“I’m a side and back sleeper, and it wasn’t a miracle fix, but every morning so far I’ve woken up with less and less back and neck pain.”
“As a practicing chiropractor I know the benefits of a good supportive night sleep has. This mattress in absolute the best mattress I’ve ever slept on.”
“Does my back feel tired after working 12 hr shift? Yes. Hurt? No. My back feels 100 times better.”
- DESIGN | Our Elegance mattress has three unique layers consisting of 1-inch of quilted plush air-infused foam on top of 1.5-inches of ventilated gel-infused foam. These two layers lie on top of a 2-inch layer of gel-infused memory foam. This enables superior heat dissipation while the 7.5-inch base layer of support foam maximizes comfort.
- BETTER SLEEP | Our thoroughly tested memory foam helps eliminate nervous tension caused from common head, neck, and shoulder pain, which frequently keeps you awake and unrested while the cooling gel helps you fall asleep and stay temperature-neutral throughout the night.
- PREMIUM COVER | Our best-in-class premium textile stretch knit cover offers a luxurious look and feel while the mesh accents allow air to flow freely in and out of the mattress improving heat dissipation.
- WEIGHTLESS SLEEP EXPERIENCE | The durable viscoelastic memory foam construction contours to your unique sleeping style and body shape to alleviate pain while the motion isolation helps you stay asleep even with partners.
- 10-YEAR WARRANTY | Buy with confidence knowing that your new mattress is CertiPUR-US certified, designed in the USA, and backed by our incredible 10-year warranty. And with our outstanding Amazon customer service, your purchase is risk-free! All our Perfect Cloud mattresses sold on Amazon come with a 30-day trial. DIMENSIONS | 80 x 60 x 12 inches.
The Perfect Cloud is an exclusive Amazon 12-inch queen (also comes in king and full sizes) visco-elastic memory foam mattress designed for extreme luxury. It is designed to be supportive of the body and back making this product a great mattress for a bad back.
It features a thick 1-inch HD Air Infused Memory Foam as a top layer with a similar 1.5-inch foam beneath to pamper you. Designed to meet the ‘just right’ coveted standard of Goldilocks, this mattress will turn your bed in a luxury hotel bed that you’ll surely like.
GEL-PRO memory foam makes up the third layer of this mattress. The thick 2-inch layer featuring memory foam infused with advanced gel offers the extra conforming comfort your body needs when asleep. It also controls your general body temperature, ensuring that you get to sleep comfortably every single night.
The 7.5-inch HD Base Support Foam makes up the fourth layer. This additional thick layer gives you unmatched support for a weightless experience during your sleep.
The removable stretch knit cover is based on the company’s latest Mesh Gusset technology for air transfer. The premium, best-in-class cover ensures that your mattress gets to breathe, with fresh air flowing in and out of it for a cool and fresh feel. Its timeless design means it can blend in well with any bed frame. Remove it easily for care.
What’s more, the materials used are CertiPUR-US certified. The bed comes with a 25-year warranty with 100% guarantee of great results. The USA-made product is also backed with outstanding customer service and risk-free purchases. Feel free to test the mattress and return it within the 30-day trial period if need be.
Many reviewers with back pain have reported that their backs feel better when sleeping on the Perfect Cloud Visco Memory Foam. The product has been reported to help many reviewers sleep better and have suggested the Perfect Cloud is one of the best mattresses for lower back pain. Reviewers with arthritis have also reported better sleep compared to other mattresses on the market.
“Thanks to this mattress, I don’t have to sleep with a pillow under my legs, and my back has never felt better.”
“Great mattress, comfortable, helped with lower back pain, great night sleep.”
“Morning back ache and body pain gone since first nights sleep.”
- Custom crafted 12" mattress featuring a unique Eurotop zipper enclosure that allows you to adjust the firmness level of the 3" Talalay Latex layer; a 1" quilted top layer of soft reflex foam; 3" of Talalay latex foam that instantly contours to your body; and 8" of high density convoluted base foam for increased air flow, conformability and durability.
- Available in three firmness levels: soft (19 ILD), medium (28 ILD) or firm (36 ILD)
- Compressed and rolled for easy and convenient parcel shipping and set up
- Please allow up to 24 hours for mattress to expand and potential odor dissipate
- Offered with 10-year warranty, proudly made in the USA
The Ultimate Dreams is a latex 12-inch mattress comes with a Euro top zipper cover to ensure you can easily interchange the latex. It’s built with high-density base foam to give your body the support it needs when you’re asleep. The USA-made product comes with good qualities imparted by the Talalay latex ranging from anti-microbial, dust-mite resistant and hypoallergenic properties.
Moreover, the mattresses are customized to meet your unique needs for firmness. Upon purchase, you’re prompted to provide info on your desired firmness level.
Many reviewers are happy with the Ultimate Dreams because of its high-density foam. Reviewers were quite surprised at being able to pick the firmness level of their choice in their order. If you want a specific firmness, then the Ultimate Dreams Mattress is a great choice. Reviewers with back pain have reported amazing nights of rest and good sleep without morning soreness. They would not recommend a better mattress for comfort, customization, and back support.
“If you want a firm mattress without busting your back or pressure point soreness this is the ticket!”
“I don’t toss and turn nearly as much as I used to because the mattress supports my back very well.”
“Normally in the morning, when I get up and move my neck, it cracks like crazy. Back is stiff. Since sleeping in this bed, I have virtually no back or neck pain.”
- The PATENTED AIRFLOW TRANSFER SYSTEM works by creating 100 TIMES THE BREATHABILITY of other mattresses that only use ventilation holes or channels, but not both and do not connect the two like the ONLY THE SNUGGLE-PEDIC MATTRESS does!
- Our Flex-Support Technology Gives The PRESSURE RELIEF of a Memory Foam/Gel Mattress, Only it is EASIER TO MOVE AROUND ON like a traditional mattress and MORE SUPPORTIVE. 100% MADE IN THE USA and CertiPUR-US Certified ECO-FRIENDLY and VERY LOW V.O.C.
- PRESSURE RELIEVING SURFACE WITH EXTRA SUPPORTIVE & FIRMER LOWER LAYER gives you the perfect balance and universal comfort. Compare to Tuft & Needle, Leesa, Sleep Innovations and Casper to see the difference for yourself!
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Rolled & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping &120-NIGHT NO HASSLE REFUND GUARANTEE. ALL USA MADE HIGH QUALITY WITH INDUSTRY LEADING 20-YEAR WARRANTY and FREE CUSTOMIZATIONS and EXCHANGES. PLEASE CHECK "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME, ONLY SNUGGLE-PEDIC PRODUCTS SOLD BY RELIEF-MART, INC. ARE GUARANTEED GENUINE AND WILL BE BACKED BY OUR WARRANTY, 4-MONTH SLEEP TRIAL, AND FREE PERSONAL CUSTOMIZATION POLICY
- KING SIZE ZIPPER REMOVABLE COVER SYSTEM ALLOWS FIRMNESS ADJUSTMENT LAYER EXCHANGES THAT WE OFFER COMPLETELY FREE IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE SUPPORT OR COMFORT. Our Kool-Flow Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% viscose of bamboo, 56.4% polyester, .6% lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG!
The Snuggle-Pedic comes with a patented airflow transfer system for 100X more breathability than other types of mattresses. The USA-made product is eco-friendly (as it’s vacuum-sealed and rolled), CertiPUR-US certified and low in V.O.C. The Flex-Support Technology provides the support and pressure relief that sleepers need to easily move and roll on your bed comfortably during the night.
The pressure relief system features a lower layer for firmer and additional support of your body. It balances your weight for uniform comfort that works for everyone. It also comes with a removable zipper cover system for additional comfort and support.
The high-quality mattress comes with a 20-year warranty, 90-day trial and free exchanges and customizations as you deem fit.
A lot of reviewers have reported that the product does an excellent job for back support. The Snuggle-Pedic Mattress alleviates a lot of pressure on the back and reviewers are happy they can wake up in the morning without sore backs or back pain.
One reviewer’s husband has undergone two back surgeries and a hip surgery and had trouble finding the right bed for their back. Luckily, they ordered Snuggle-Pedic Mattress and it worked like a charm, at a much better cost than previous mattresses.
“Love it fixed all our back problems and stays the right temperature.”
“Thrilled to see such innovation in the mattress industry. It resolved the back pain issues I had with my previous bed.”
“We both sleep all night long and dont wake up with back or hip pain like with our previous mattress. One of the best decisions we’ve made and at the price, you just can’t get anything better.”
- PERFECT CONTOUR. King size mattress cradles you in a deluxe cushion of 2.5" Premium Air-Flow MF over 1" of Gel-Infused Memory Foam plus 8.5" of High Density Polyurethane Base. Extra-thick profile brings luxury hotel touch
- COOLING INNOVATION. Breathable, plush & better quality materials, not cheap inexpensive foam. Optimum comfort that relaxes & cools your body. Deep rest for a long day ahead. No coils or latex used
- BEST BUY SOLUTION. Top Rated King Memory Foam Mattress with over 90% 5-star reviews on Amazon. Classic medium-firm HD core relieves pressure points + less tossing & turning. Good for side, back and stomach sleepers. Signature feel recharges you from a dream night of ultimate slumber
- SOFT FLEX COVER. World class linen is easy green care & works on any home bedroom furniture frame set, box spring or futon. Comfortable and has a cloud like sensation. Use a bedding pad / protector on any mattress, cot, tri-fold or guest room day-bed
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED & BONUS free queen-size pillow. Non toxic, Eco-Friendly & Hypoallergenic + Great on box-spring, platform, adjustable or hard floor only. New + Designed in the USA + full refund guarantee from 30 day trial + 20-year warranty
The 12-inch Resort Sleep Foam features a 2.5-inch premium AirFlow Visco Foam and a second layer of 1-inch Memory Foam infused with gel for total comfort. Beneath the two is an 8.5-inch High-Density Support Base for additional thickness and comfort, making up a total of 12-inch luxury comfort.
The Gel Memory Foam is designed for breathability and made using soft viscose to ensure you get total relaxation and comfort. After a stressful day, enjoy deep, comfortable night sleeps on this premium mattress. The Specialty HD foams layer is designed to give you the best feeling, ensuring you toss and turn less. It also relieves you of back pain and pressure, targeting your hips, sore hips, shoulders, and feet.
The plush zipper stretch knit cover is removable, the softest (made of world-class fabric) and the brand’s most expensive. It works well on bedroom box springs, furniture frames, metal platform, foundation, hard floor or even an adjustable bed.
The non-toxic mattress comes with a 20-year warranty and free memory foam pillow. There’s no better way to recharge your day than sleep on these firm signature layers of your mattress.
The Resort Sleep King is a highly appreciated and best-rated foam mattress on the market. The 8.5-inch high-density support base can be felt by reviewers as they reported to sleep very well with little to no back pain. Many reviewers have reported that their back pain makes it impossible to sleep. However, thanks to the Resort Sleep King Mattress, they can sleep well again.
“My husband has hip and back issues which make it so he can only sleep on his stomach or back and this bed has made it that he can sleep on his sides again! I certainly recommend.”
“It is indeed a very very good mattress! It gives good support to your back.”
“This mattress is amazing, I no longer wake up with back pain.”
Our Final Thoughts
No one deserves to have their good night’s sleep made difficult because of back pain. In this guide, we went through extensive research on known mattresses for back support. Besides finding a comfortable mattress, there are a few key elements you should keep an open eye for when purchasing a mattress specifically for your back:
- Mattresses designed for lumbar support with either group of coils specifically designed to be placed around the center of the bed or memory foam mattresses with extra support around the center
- The height of your entire bed matters because if it’s too high, there are more layers in between which translates to more likelihood of leaving a body impression that will curve your spine in a way that is not best for you
- Firmness matters it maintains your spine alignment much better than soft mattresses
- What other reviewers say about their back problems and whether it helps them sleep like a baby at night
We believe everyone should stay informed on the best of the best mattresses here at My Sleepy Ferret. Besides staying in budget, be sure to do your due diligence on putting together the right bed for yourself. It may take some trials and errors which there may not be a way around it. However, once you find the right combination, life gets a little easier with proper back support for your sleep.
We hope this guide on the best mattress for back pain helps you!