Worried about your mattress getting messed up? We are, too. That’s why we wrote this handy buyers guide on the best mattress protectors and covers. We review and recommend our top rated choices, and look at what makes a protector/cover a great choice.
Quick side-note: In this buyers guide, we will refer to mattress covers, protectors, full blown mattress encasement covers solely as “mattress protectors” since the purpose of any type of cover is to protect the mattress.
Reviews of the Best Mattress Protectors
- Protects Against Fluids, Urine, Perspiration and Allergens (10-Year Warranty)
- Hypoallergenic Cotton Terry Surface With Membrane Back Coating (Waterproof, Noiseless and Breathable)
- Great For Those With Kids, Pets, Allergies, Asthma, Eczema Or Incontinence (OEKO-TEX Certified SH025 151792)
- Will Not Change The Feel of Your Mattress (Registered With The FDA As A Class 1 Medical Device)
- Fitted Sheet Style Design - Queen Size Mattress Protector 60" x 80" - Fits up to 18" deep
Our review: The SafeRest Mattress Protector receives our stamp of approval as the best mattress protector on the market. Let’s dive into what this baby can do.
First off, materials. The sleeping surface is made of 80% cotton and 20% polyester. Cotton is a natural fabric that is breathable and feels great against the skin, wicking away moisture and heat to help provide a cool sleeping surface. Polyester provides durability as a synthetic material frequently used in many garments. The cotton-polyester blend is terry cloth woven, a way fabric is woven with loops that can absorb water much more effectively than letting it pass through the fabric itself. Bath towels used to use plain linen until terry cloth replaced it as a more soft and absorbent alternative. Terry cloth is what makes the cover effective at soaking water. But what about the waterproofing?
The lining (inside of the cover) is made is made with 100% polyurethane laminate, also known as PUL. PUL is a fabric type often found in diapers, raincoats, baby bibs, and duvet covers. PUL is waterproof and breathable in that it stops liquid from seeping through and let’s heat and water vapor dissipate from it. This is what stops fluids from getting to your mattress.
As many people have tested and ourselves included, the SafeRest Mattress Protector actually blocks off the water. At first, when we poured a full cup of water over our test-mattress, we were worried because the cover begin to appear as though it was soaking the water. It was supposed to soak the water because of the terry cloth weaving. But when we checked underneath, the PUL did its job and blocked the water from getting to the mattress. Dry! This was a big deal for us, and those who are looking for a mattress protector that is legitimately waterproof and can protect our mattress. But one quick note we have is that when we spilled water, we left it on for only a few minutes. We’re not entirely sure if a child peed in their sleep and left for the entire night would actually get through the PUL because all it takes is a little stretched out area for the liquid to get through. We definitely don’t recommend leaving liquid on the mattress protector long without being dried up with towels or removed from your mattress completely. We are still happy with the results, nevertheless!
The cotton/polyester blend also provides a very soft and quiet sleeping surface. There weren’t any scrunchy noise coming from the cover as we tossed and turned. The only thing we had a minor dispute over was the cover reducing coolness of the mattress. It was noticeable and was probably caused by the PUL and polyester, but isn’t a deal breaker for us.
Show me more info about the mattress protector: http://amzn.to/2DKH8xF
Overall, our vote goes to the SafeRest as our top recommendation for a mattress protector. It might not be a full mattress encasement, which makes taking off and putting on the cover a thousand times easier, but it works. Pricing is also better compared to other mattress protector brands we found that uses nearly identical blend and weaving.
- Zippered mattress cover stretches to fit any Queen (60” x 80”) standard mattress depth from 12" to 18"
- 100% Waterproof barrier on all six sides of mattress - Lab-tested to be 100% bed bug proof
- Extra-soft polyester knit fabric is cool and comfortable - breathable waterproof membrane won't trap heat
- Can help ease asthma and other respiratory conditions by blocKing mold spores, dust mites, and other allergens
- Machine washable - Tumble dry low - 5-Year Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty
Our review: Hospitology’s Sleep Defense System is a 6-side full-blown mattress encasement protector. It goes from side to side, top to bottom, with a 3-side zipper to close off the mattress from anything outside. This lab tested mattress encasement protector uses a velcro flap to cover the zipper once it is zipped up.
We found several things special about the mattress protector. It is made of 100% polyester knit fabric. The polyester is a synthetic material that is stretchy and durable, without feeling rough or coarse against skin, and is frequently seen in garments. Unlike cotton or other natural fabrics, polyester takes quite a bit more force to tear apart, so the use of 100% polyester is great for longevity of the mattress protector.
The Sleep Defense System Mattress Encasement wasn’t waterproof in our initial testing. Although it did a good job blocking off most of the cup of water we poured onto it, it seems you would need another cover on top (like the SafeRest Mattress Protector) to block the water.
What we can see the mattress encasement working well with are bed bugs and dust mites, which a lot of reviewers reported. We haven’t tested this ourselves, and hope we never have to, but judging from other reviewers who have had critters before, the bugs were kept on the outside. You also receive a zip-tie to help tie the zipper to a loop underneath the velcro flap. The instructions on the packaging will give you a step-by-step on how to encase and secure your mattress completely.
Show me more info about the mattress protector: http://amzn.to/2DP39v6
Overall, we found the Sleep Defense System Mattress Encasement to be a great fit for those who are concerned about dust mites, allergens, or bed bugs getting into their mattress. It’s probably the worst feeling to call in the exterminator for bed bugs and get the critters again for round 2. Although the mattress protector is not 100% waterproof (more repellent than anything), it does its job keeping other things from getting into the mattress. You can spot clean, machine wash, and tumble dry on low when it’s time for cleaning. The encasement also supports mattresses that are as thick as 18 inches.
What Makes A Great Mattress Protector?
Here are a few important points we found that makes a great protector for your mattress:
- Will survives multiple washes. As far as we found, all mattress protectors are machine washable. What was important to us is that they can survive multiple washes. The last thing we want is to wash our bed sheets during the weekend, and end up needing to shop for another because the one we tossed into the washing machine got torn up. This means durable fabric that can be tossed into the washing and dryer machine, and come out with minimal wear and tear.
- Can block out fluids momentarily. Contrary to most marketing, liquid will eventually seep through the seams of the fabric of a mattress protector if it isn’t dried as soon as possible. However, those crucial moments of freak-outs and the clean up that follow means waterproof mattress protectors are pretty helpful. For children or pets urinating in bed, it won’t work 100% of the time, but it will prevent a lot of the fluid from soaking through into the mattress. Definitely worth it.
- Can shut down allergens, dust mites, bed bugs. No bed can be 100% proofed from critters or from dust. However, the few great mattress protectors can prevent much of it. Mattress encasement, especially the brand product we recommend below, can be the excellent choice if you are concerned about any sort of mattress contaminants. This normally works because the protector uses two layers: the feel-good surface layer for sleep, and the full blown waterproof and contaminant blockade layer underneath.
- Comfortable and feels great on skin contact. It goes without saying that we want to find you a mattress protector that you can sleep comfortably on. We want it to be quiet (no loud, scrunchy noises). We want it to be the right fit (so there’s no loose surfaces that make it excruciatingly uncomfortable to roll around). We also want it to feel soft and cool. We want a lot of things, so we went out, did our research, reviewed individual products, and recommend you the best mattress protectors and mattress covers below.