You will be spending one-third of the next 5 to 10 years sleeping on your next mattress. Let’s pick the right one that is the most comfortable, most popular (for good reason), and most affordable to your budget.
In this guide, we look at mattresses that are priced under $1,000 made from quality material, durable and long-lasting, and most importantly supportive and comfortable to our sleep.
Did you know? Not all mattresses priced in the thousands are made from quality materials or unique in design. It’s important to know what exactly a mattress is made of and what makes them so special. More often than not, you won’t need to spend more than $1,000 to buy the best mattress for you.
We’re glad you are reading this article. We recommend starting with a maximum budget of $1,000 because this amount is ideal to put you in the luxury end of the quality mattress spectrum with multiple mattress features that can improve your sleep experience (we’re talking edge support, better hip and back support with denser materials in the center, cooling features, and so on).
- 1 Reviews of the Best Mattress Under $1,000
- 2 How To Pick The Right Mattress
- 3 Our Final Thoughts
Reviews of the Best Mattress Under $1,000
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
- Free of harmful chemicals: Our mattresses are Greenguard Gold and CertiPUR-US certified, this means our beds are held to the highest of standards and are third party tested and certified to free of harmful chemicals, substances or materials
- Questions: We pride ourselves on customer service and urge you to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at any point, our expert customer service team will be available to help you through any hesitations, problems or questions you may have
The right amount of support and of bounce in a mattress. It has a patented design blend to make you feel comfortable and enjoy the night time, without feeling “sink in or stuck on”. It is a medium firm support mattress that provides pressure relief when you move, but also is soft enough for sore joints and aching muscles. The advanced combination of materials ends up creating the T&N Adaptive Foam – dual core foam – that helps you “sleep cool”.
“I am happy to report that it remains one of the most comfortable mattresses I’ve ever owned”, said T. King on Amazon.com and of course he gave it a 5 stars review. For the stomach sleepers, this may be a bit soft; but for it sure works well for side sleepers and back sleepers.
The Tuft and Needle Mattress have a 100 night trial for a lot of time to try then return if necessary, and a 10 year warranty to protect from defects.
- 4-layers of premium foam construction for support, breathability, and bounce
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
- Combination of softer foam for shoulder region and supportive firm foam for core and hip area
- Please note: Any new product will expand within minutes and can have a mild scent upon unboxing that will dissipate in a few hours in a well-ventilated room
- 100 night trial and free returns within 100 days of receipt of shipment on products sold by Casper
This mattress has a combination of latex and memory foam; and considering the excellence of these materials, it has a very reasonable price for a queen size. It’s just got the right sink, just the right bounce and keeps you cool all night. You will see that the pressure is off your hips, shoulders, back and head.
Krisa C from Amazon.com bought one and said “the best bed I’ve ever had! It isn’t too hot and my back doesn’t hurt anymore”. Even when this mattress can be a little soft for stomach sleepers, it sure works amazing for side and back sleepers.
The Casper Sleep Mattress hey give you a 100 days trial run and if you don’t like it, you can return it for a full refund.
- Your purchase includes One Brentwood Home Cypress Gel Memory Foam Mattress in Queen Size | Fits adjustable and regular frames & is the perfect mattress for all type of sleepers
- Mattress dimensions – 80" L x 60" W x 13" H | Feel – Medium-Firm | Weight – 53 lbs.
- A natural and sustainable material, it wicks away moisture, acts as a natural fire barrier, and regulates body temperature, keeping you cool when it’s hot and vice versa
- Remove packaging within 72 hours, and allow an extra 48-72 hours for proper decompression
- Our memory foam is certified free of any toxic chemicals by CertiPUR-US
This mattress is considered an ideal choice for couples because it has motion isolation, distributes weight evenly, has a medium feel and relieves pressure points. With a 3.5 inches gel memory foam contours the body for a proper spinal alignment and provides a great night’s sleep. Works for side, back and stomach sleepers. It has four layers for support and it also is eco-friendly.
On Amazon.com, Alicia’s testimony says “I was terrified of switching to memory foam after researching for months, but when I slept on it for the first time I was completely hooked”. Some users said that it’s too firm, but don’t worry because it will get softer with time.
The Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress comes with a 30-day return policy. Shorter than other mattress brands, but we find 30 days tend to be long enough to decide whether we want to keep a mattress or not.
How To Pick The Right Mattress
Before we dive into our recommendations, here are some thoughts to consider when shopping for a new mattress.
What kind of mattress is best for you?
There are generally two major categories of mattress: innerspring and foam. Foam mattresses include latex and memory foam.
The first one has a more traditional feel, has a great bounce and it’s a good choice if you have extreme cooling needs. They are excellent shock absorbers.
For most sleepers, the foam mattress is recommendable because of its moldability to the shape and curves of your body, providing full contact support and alleviating pressure points. The drawback, however, is that foam can trap heat better than most mattresses which can cause you to sweat at night. For back pain, it will keep your spine straight and steady.
In what position do you sleep more often in?
If you’re a side sleeper, you might want to find a mattress that can relieve pressure that you place upon your shoulders and hips. Specifically, we want a mattress with soft to medium level firmness: soft enough to contour the curves of the body. Remember that you won’t remain in the same position through the night and a too firm mattress will lead to lower back pain, neck pain and even shoulder pain. It can also have a memory foam or/and a fluffy topper.
If you prefer to sleep on your stomach, a firm mattress will provide the best support across the whole body. It cannot be too soft because it will be curving the spine of the sleeper, and it will cause lower back pain and more often than not neck pain.
If you tend to sleep on your back instead, a medium-firm to firm mattress can provide support for the hips and back. The firm support provide spinal alignment and prevent the back from curving uncomfortably by allowing the hips to sink and pull the body into an awkward position.
Features You Might Be Interested In
Sharing your bed with a sleeping partner? Ideally, we want to have a mattress that cater to each sleeper. However, unless you are willing to buy two twin-size mattresses and push them together, the best suggestion we have are the following:
Generally, the most popular firmness tends to be medium-firm to firm that the average shopper enjoy.
You want to find a mattress that will have cooling designs, such as gel bead infusion, copper infusion, or with aloe vera to prevent hot flashes.
We also want to watch out for edge support to prevent rolling off the side of our beds. In other words, we want to be able to make full use of the entire surface of our bed.
We will also look out for a warranty of at least 10 years in case of any manufacturer defects (sudden sinking and sagging).
Most importantly, we want to have a long trial period. Amazon makes returns easy for consumers, and we will find return periods between 30 to 90 days (90 being the average) for most popular mattress brands.
FURTHER READING: How To Pick The Right Mattress
Our Final Thoughts
Owning a good mattress is important, so you can rest well and wake up feeling amazing. It’s a big investment but will be very valuable because you will own it for 10 years.
When you’re going to buy a new mattress you should consider visit some stores. Don’t be afraid to look for sales or to ask for some discount; and don’t forget the extras like pillows, sheets, etc.
Buying online is also a great alternative, you will get all the information you need plus the costumer reviews and those can be very helpful. Remember to consider the position you sleep and your partner.
We recommend the Tuft and Needle Mattress that offers a medium firm support, pressure relief when you move during the night but also is soft enough for sore joints and aching muscles.
Looking for a bed in a different price class? Check out our other buyer’s guides: