Back sleepers need a different kind of support for the neck. From such a sleeper position, people sleeping on their backs are more prone to snoring and neck strain, especially from a pillow that does not have the right firmness or thickness to it. If you have been waking up drained, exhausted, and with neck tension, then it’s time to switch out your pillow. Sleep difficulties can have a lot to do with the combination of our sleeping position and using the wrong pillow for us.
We have come up with five best pillows that will help you sleeping better at night. We have done the homework and research for you so you can choose the best solution suitable to you.
Reviews of the Best Back Sleeper Pillow
- FINALLY – YOU HAVE FOUND THE ONE! – Meet the world’s best adjustable pillow. Customize it to achieve just the right individual balance between support and comfort. Whether you are a side, back or stomach sleeper – this is the pillow for you! Get ready for the most restful sleep you can experience.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT! - Foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape, and sleep position. Sleep comfortably and aligned at last.
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No toxic or harmful chemicals here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free – no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
- WE CARE – ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS USED! - The case is made with proprietary Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness.
- YOUR BEST SLEEP EVER, GUARANTEED - You can now purchase with confidence. MADE IN USA.
Made from the shredded memory foam, the Coop Home Goods pillow tops our chart as the best all-rounder pillow. This pillow comes with adjustable fill, breathable covers and are hypoallergenic. It is ideal for back sleepers and can be can be customized according to satisfy your needs. Here are some key features of this pillow:
- You can personalize the thickness of the pillow according to your requirement as the filling can be adjusted.
- The cover is breathable making it easier to stay cool and keeping your body temperature normal.
- Its hypoallergenic, dust and mite resistant making it ideal for sensitive people.
- Provides support for back aches and muscle pains.
- The shredded memory foam provides a balance of firmness, it’s not too hard or soft.
While most of the existing customers seem quite satisfied with the quality of the pillow and results some people had the following complaints:
- The composition of the pillow remained inconsistent as not every pillow is perfectly shaped.
- Their head sank in the pillow a little too much especially when they slept on their sides making it difficult to align their neck with the rest of the body
The Z- Zoned memory foam pillow from Malouf boasts the unique dough formula that allows the memory foam to keep its shape for years. It is soft to the touch and feels like dough under the body. Here are some key features of this pillow:
- It provides pressure relief which is ideal for those who have muscle and joint pain issues.
- It provides complete support to the body because of the Pin-Core Design.
- Comfortable and breathable, ideal for those who tend to sleep for longer hours.
While most customers were satisfied with the pillow and said that it is by far the softest pillow available for back sleepers on the market, others added:
- It isn’t ready to use straight out of the packaging as it needs to be left for at least a day for air drying.
No products found.
People usually suffer with neck stiffness, especially in the modern world where most of the work is done at the computer. This pillow is ideal for stomach, back and side sleepers. Technically it is a multipurpose pillow that you can use in many ways. Here are some of the features:
- The filling can be adjusted according to the firmness and support required by you.
- The filling material is gel memory however the way it has been placed in the pillow is what makes it unique. The clustered fibers allow the pillow to maintain the ideal firmness and temperature.
- Designed to support the neck muscles and doesn’t disturb the alignment of the spine.
- Addresses sleep apnea and snoring issues.
Some drawbacks include:
- The unique shape of the pillow makes it difficult for first timers to adjust to it instantly.
- Foam constrution provides superior pressure relief
- Infused gel draws heat away from head and keeps you cool while sleeping
- Responds to pressure and creates the perfect support for head, neck and shoulders
- Features a knit cover made from Cool Pass fabric which keeps the pillow surface cooler
- X-shaped section speeds up moisture absorption and diffusion
The Classic Brands Gel Memory Foam Pillow is built to remain cool during the night. The polyurethane material allows for mouldability, adjusting to the natural curves of the head and neck, and providing support for the neck muscles. This pillow is enjoyed by most customers because:
- This pillow is another great one for back sleepers.
- One of the biggest features that the company advertises everywhere is that this pillow keeps you cool throughout the night.
- The memory get adjusts to the contours of the body making it idea for those who suffer from neck and back pain.
Some customers complained:
- It might not be ideal for those who enjoy hard pillows as it isn’t as firm as some might want it to be.
- BED PILLOW: This pillow for neck and shoulder pain provides therapeutic support so you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.
- COOLING MEMORY FOAM: The therapeutic design of this cooling pillow adapts to your head, neck and shoulders to provide the enhanced support and gentle alignment you need.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: Choose between the higher and lower contours for the support that feels best. The contour pillow design helps reduce pain and stiffness - a great back and side sleeper pillow.
- MADE IN THE USA: The foam for our bed pillows is proudly made in the USA and comes with a 5 year warranty.
The Cool Memory Foam Pillow by Sleep Innovations is perfectly contoured to support your back and neck. It can keep the body temperature normal, and is flexible to adapt to the shape of your neck and head. As a slightly thicker pillow, the Sleep Innovations Pillow is ideal for both back and side sleepers. This pillow is a medium on the firmness scale and maintain its shape after a long period of use. Features include: Keeps the body temperature normal, adjusts to the contours and great for both side and back sleepers.
- Great for side and back sleepers.
- Therapeutic for support and comfort.
- The formula reduces soreness and stiffness in muscles.
The only negative to this pillow is that it takes at least 3 to 4 days to adjust to the unique shape.
What Makes a Great Pillow for Back Sleepers?
Some factors must be taken into careful consideration when purchasing a pillow for sleeping on the back. A brief overlook would familiarize you with common concerns that you need to cater to, allowing you to look for the right properties in a pillow.
Thickness of your pillow. The thickness of a pillow is directly related to the position of your head with reference to the surface of the mattress. This is one of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a pillow that your back deserves.
The thickness of your pillow has a direct impact on the quality of your sleep. It directly impacts your comfort. If a pillow is too thick, compared to one that you’re familiar and comfortable with, your neck will be raised higher from the rest of your body and this imbalance will result in a neck cramp. This could last the entire day, keeping you in extreme discomfort. Whereas if a pillow is thinner than your standard pillow, you will twist and turn for comfort which can keep you up the entire night.
A way to determine the ideal thickness is a small experiment: you stand straight back up against the wall, head, and spine aligned. When you do so, you’ll notice a gap between the back of your head and the wall.
This gap is your ideal thickness, which you can measure and present to your sales representative.
Firmness of the sleeping surface of your pillow. This is a measure of how soft or firm your pillow is. It is yet another important aspect that must be considered prior to the purchase of your pillow.
It affects the body in terms of posture. If your pillow is too soft, your head will sink into it that can cause discomfort during sleep. In the long-term, this can also lead to a misaligned spine due to the continual unevenness of the head and body. It is also directly linked to body pain. If your pillow is too firm, your neck will be stiff which is another cause for discomfort, resulting in a sore neck and stiff shoulders.
The ideal firmness of a pillow for any person, regardless of sleep position, is medium firmness; not too soft, not too hard but just in the middle.
Malleability. This is a measure of how flexible your pillow is, allowing it to take the shape of the object that weighs down on it; in this case your head.
Your pillow must be malleable enough to ensure proper neck comfort. Otherwise, it can lead to discomfort by causing neck sores. For instance, if you turn your head while you’re in your sleep and the pillow does not change its form according to your current head position and stays in its initial position, your neck will be under a lot of strain. This can result in cramps or sores in the neck the next day.
Hence, it is important that your pillow is malleable i.e. it can adjust to the movement of your head as you shift in your sleep. The key to avoiding unnecessary body pains is to pay attention to these little details so it does not affect the body severely in the long run.
Material type. What is contained inside the covers is referred to as the material of a pillow. This is a factor that can be either overlooked or taken into consideration according to the sort of person; whether the particular person takes their sleep as a serious cause or gives it enough importance to know how to achieve the perfect rest.
Many different materials are being used to make pillows today. With the range of materials comes a range of prices. If you are the sort to allow a night’s rest lesser expense, a reasonable choice would be to buy memory foam pillows. They adjust themselves to the shape of your head and neck providing a reasonable amount of comfort. If you are willing to ensure that your pillow ticks all the best features checklist, latex pillows, down or feather pillows will suit your taste. Alternatively, if you find yourself in need of a thinner pillow, down alternative pillows can be a great choice for their hypoallergenic and cloud-like sleeping surface.
It’s all in the preference of things i.e. what is comfortable for one maybe unpleasant for another, which is why we have provided some reviews to help you make a choice that best suits your needs and taste.
Our Final Thoughts
These were our top 5 pillow picks that are ideal for back sleepers. While all these pillows have their pros and cons, we believe that the battle was tough amongst Coop Home goods and Malouf pillows. Both pillows are top sellers on Amazon, with back sleeper reviewers content with their choices.
In this article, we review and recommend the top 5 pillows suitable for back sleepers. We also go through what makes a great pillow for back sleepers and what to look out for when shopping for one.