If you want to sleep better at night, one of the biggest changes you can make for improving your sleep would be to buy the best pillow for neck and shoulder pain. Having anything less than optimal to your preference and needs can create a lot of stress on your neck, head, and shoulder areas. Pains in these areas from sleep can be attributed to the pillow.
However, there are a lot of different types of pillow as well as a few dozen other pillows out in the open market. Which one is best for your need? What is so different between each pillow? What makes them so popular?
- 1 Reviews of the Best Pillow For Neck And Shoulder Pain
- 1.1 The Coop Home Goods Pillow
- 1.2 The Sleep Restoration Pillow
- 1.3 The MASTERTEX Pillow
- 1.4 The Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow
- 1.5 The Sleep Innovations Pillow
- 1.6 The MyPillow Classic Series Pillow
- 1.7 The Mediflow Waterbase Pillow
- 1.8 The Classic Brands Conforma Pillow
- 1.9 The BioPEDIC Pillow
- 1.10 The Xtreme Comforts Pillow
- 2 Considerations When Shopping For The Best Pillows For Neck And Shoulder Pain
- 3 Our Final Thoughts
Reviews of the Best Pillow For Neck And Shoulder Pain
- FINALLY, THE PERFECT PILLOW - Meet the world's best adjustable pillow, created with our medium firm mix of memory foam and microfiber. It provides just the right balance between support and comfort for the most restful sleep you'll ever experience.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL - Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape, and sleep position. Sleep comfortably and aligned at last.
- LUXURY FABRICS FOR A LUXURY EXPERIENCE - The case is made with Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness. Hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant, you can finally wake up refreshed.
- SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES - Made in the USA. Our pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No toxic chemicals here!
- YOUR BEST SLEEP EVER, GUARANTEED - If you don't fall in love within 100 nights (although we're sure you will), contact us directly to return the pillow for a full refund, no questions asked. Each pillow also comes with a 5-year warranty.
The Coop Home Goods Pillow is a memory foam pillow with a removable cover that is 60% polyester and 40% bamboo-derived rayon. Bamboo-derived rayon is known for its moisture-absorbent properties and breathability for that fresh sensation.
The pillow contains a proprietary mix of shredded visco-elastic memory foam that you can add or remove to adjust the thickness and comfort level. The pillow height is roughly 3 inches. The shredded visco-elastic memory foam stuffed inside the pillow can be firmer than most pillow. Great for pillow for side sleepers to keep the neck and spine leveled, but not so great for those looking for a softer-end pillow.
Made in the USA, the Coop Home Goods Pillow foam material is CertiPUR-US certified for safety. The pillow is hypoallergenic, dust-mite resistant, uses a breathable cover, and comes with a 30-day trial period with no questions asked return.
- SUPER PLUSH MATERIAL - Our Sleep Restoration Gel-Filled Fiber Pillows are crafted in super plush gel fiber that puts all other standard pillows to shame! They are expertly tailored to ensure maximum comfort for any and all sleeping positions.
- NO-SHIFT CONSTRUCTION - With their no-shift construction, our pillows are a fantastic place to rest your head. They're stylish, luxurious, and incredibly comfortable. You'll fall asleep fast, and stay asleep!
- DUST MITE, MOLD & MILDEW RESISTANT- Our pillows are dust mite, mold, and mildew resistant! Additionally, they are completely allergen and chemical free. They are the perfect choice for those suffering from asthma, allergies, and other respiratory issues.
- FADE RESISTANT & STAIN RESISTANT - The Sleep Restoration Gel-Filled Fiber Pillows are resistant and stain resistant, so you'll never have to worry! Our pillows are machine washable, and will always feel and look like new!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We are so confident in the quality of our product that we offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee! If you are unsatisfied, simply contact us to return the product for a full refund.
The Sleep Restoration Pillow is a cooling-gel pillow that is super plush firmness. The pillow is designed with no-shift construction so that when the head rests on the pillow, you won’t find yourself rolling or moving out of place and into awkward positions.
The Sleep Restoration Pillow is dust-mite, mold, and mildew resistant. Allergen and chemical free, the pillow well known to keep you cool during the night by letting the heat circulate out of the pillow. This temperature cooling feature is great for those who have hot flashes during the night.
- 100% COTTON COVER - 300 Thread Count, They Are Truly Breathable and Does Not Retain Heat. Perfect Choice for who which are suffering from Asthma, Allergies.
- ULTRA SOFT FIBER FILL - Down-Like Fiber Filling. Classic Designed. The Perfect Balance between Firm and Squishy. 1.5" Gusset for Maximum Loft.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - Machine Wash on a Cool Setting. Fiber Will Stay In Place. Soft to Touch & Comfortable to sleep on. Finished With Satin Piping.
- Not Vacuum Sealed like Other Pillows, Pillow Came in a Clear Plastic Carrying Case That Should Be Great for Storage and Travel. Best Gift Idea for Your loved ones.
- PERFECT FOR ALL FOUR SEASONS. They Also Work Great For Sitting Up In Bed To Read Or Be On Your Laptop. A MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE!! 1 YEAR WARRANTY!
The Mastertex Pillow is a 1.5-inch height pillow, with cotton cover and microfiber fill. The microfiber fill allows for a great loft recovery and doesn’t shift when you roll your head on the pillow. The pillow is machine washable and dryable (on a cool setting) and comes with a clear plastic carrying case when you want to store the pillow for travel.
The cotton cover is thread count is 300, and uses a window pane jacquard pattern design. The Mastertex Pillow comes with four sizes: standard (20-inch X 26-inch), queen (20-inch X 30-inch), king (20-inch X 30inch), and euro size (26-inch X 26-inch). You can also order each size as a single pillow or two pillow order.
- #1 RATED BODY PILLOW by ConsumerSearch and The New York Times WireCutter, as as Amazon's Choice Editorial Pick for Best Body Pillow in 2018. Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Body Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG! Fully Machine Washable.
- MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam.
- CONFORMING Shape Orthopedically Supports the the body For Sleeping On The Side, Stomach and In Between! 20 x 54 inch Cut Size That Can Be Spread Out For Wider, and Lower Profile or Gathered For Thicker Support.
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Compressed & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping. We use a combination of Biogreen and CertiPUR-US Certified foam tested and shown to be MADE WITHOUT ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Low in VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
- 120-NIGHT LOVE IT OR SEND IT BACK POLICY WITH NO COST RETURNS and CUSTOMIZATIONS when contacting the manufacturer direct. INDUSTRY LEADING 20-YEAR WARRANTY that your pillow will stand the test of time! (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE MANUFACTURER ONLY WARRANTIES PURCHASES MADE THROUGH AUTHORIZED SELLERS (see complete details for more information located on the middle of this page).
The Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow is a lengthy body pillow made with memory foam filling and an extra breathable micro-vented cover called Kool-Flow.
The Kool-Flow cover is 56.4% polyester, 0.6% lycra and 43% viscose of bamboo. Polyester mix allows for durability and some stretch, while viscose of bamboo is naturally hypoallergnic, incredibly soft, moisture wicking and can resist odor and bacteria – great for those with sensitive skins or allergies.
The cover is not removable, but the whole pillow is machine washable and machine dryable. If you want to use a cover, a standard 54-inch X 20-inch body pillow case or cover will fit the pillow.
The Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow works great for stomach, side and pregnant sleepers. It comes with a 20-year manufacturer warranty and a 90-night sleep trial with free personal customization. The shredded foam filling is CertiPUR-US certified for safe using and made in the USA.
- BED PILLOW: This pillow for neck and shoulder pain provides therapeutic support so you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.
- MEMORY FOAM: The therapeutic design of this contour memory foam pillow adapts to your head, neck and shoulders to provide the enhanced support and gentle alignment you need.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: Choose between the higher and lower contours for the support that feels best. The contour pillow design helps reduce pain and stiffness - a great back and side sleeper pillow.
- MADE IN THE USA: The foam for our bed pillows is proudly made in the USA and comes with a 5 year warranty.
The Sleep Innovations Pillow is a contour pillow that uses memory foam for support. The contour design helps alleviate pressure and provide therapeutic support on the neck by slightly elevating it to isolate the head from the body, reducing pain and stifness.
The foam, filling, and finish is made in the USA. The cover is made in China, with a microfiber felt feel. The pillow comes with a 5-year manufacture warranty.
The Sleep Innovations Pillow comes in two sizes: standard (15-inch X 20-inch) and queen size (15-inch X 24-inch). The short side of the pillow is a height of 3.5 inches and the height of tall side of the pillow is 5 inches.
- Made with patented interlocking fill
- Gives you the exact support you need as an individual
- Machine washable and dryable
- 10-year warranty
- Made in the USA - Manufactured in our home state of Minnesota! - 18.5" x 28"
The MyPillow Classic Series Pillow is a proprietary fill pillow that allows you to adjust the pillow firmness and size as needed. The pillow uses a 3-piece interlocking polyfoam fill that prevents the pillow from losing its shape or going flat throughout the night. This fill is also an open cell polyfoam that better airflow so you can stay cool at night. The pillow is built with a 2-inch gusset around the entire pillow for more loft and support – great support for side sleepers.
The MyPillow Classic Series Pillow is made in the USA, with two sizes and loft levels: The two sizes available are: standard/queen (18.5-inch X 28-inch) and king (18.5-inch X 34-inch). The two loft levels available are: firm and medium. The pillow comes with a 10-year manufacturer warranty when the pillow is registered on through their website.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Our Waterbase technology has been clinically proven by an independent Johns Hopkins study to reduce neck pain and improve overall quality of sleep, bringing you the best night's sleep you have ever experienced
- IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEPING POSITIONS: -If you are a side, back or stomach sleeper or switch in between - the water will move with your head, so you will never have to adjust or fluff this pillow. 200 thread count cotton shell. Machine wash and dry
- CUSTOMIZE TO YOUR COMFORT: Our Waterbased Pillow can be customized to your liking! Adjust the water level for make your pillow soft, medium, firm or even medium-firm!
- SUPERIOR MATERIAL: This pillow is made with a fully sealed and insulated water pouch with resilient Dacron Hollofil fiber layer on top, encased in a 100% hypoallergenic cotton shell, providing exceptional comfort for the head.
- MADE IN THE USA: We stand by our product with a 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee & 3 Year Warranty over manufacturing errors - if you aren't happy within 30 days, we'll take it back, no questions asked.
The Mediflow Waterbase Pillow is a 100% cotton pillow that uses water for filling. The pillow firmness and height can be adjusted by adding or reducing the water inside the pillow plastic water pouch. By using water for firmness, the pillow responds to movement automatically, contouring to the shape of your head and neck throughout the night for a better sleep. The filling also uses a soft, hypoallergenic fiber.
The Mediflow Waterbase Pillow offer a 30-day trial period, with a 1-year manufacturer warranty to protect you against defects. it is made in the USA and can be machine washed and dried.
- Responsive memory foam provides ergonomic support and is ideal for side and back sleepers
- Superior pressure relief and supportive comfort for your head, neck, and shoulders
- Memory foam is naturally antimicrobial and resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites
- Ventilated memory foam regulates body temperature during sleep
- Medium-plush feel
The Classic Brands Conforma Pillow is a memory foam pillow with visible open cell build that allows for airflow to regulate temperature. The pillow uses a removable soft-velour cover with a cotton blend for a great feel. The cover is machine washable and dryable.
The Classic Brands Conforma Pillow is 5 inches thick with a medium firm feel, and ideal for side sleepers. It is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. The pillow comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty to protect you against defects.
- The BioPEDIC Ultra-Fresh pillow line was designed for the individual sleeper to custom fit their styles and needs; Sleep clean and fresh the whole night through
- The all-natural 100-percent cotton shell is generously filled with our Ultra-Fresh treated polyester fiber to inhibit the growth of odor and stain causing bacteria
- Sold in packs of 4, each standard size pillow measures 20-by-26 inches, machine washable
- Made in the USA of imported materials; 2-Pack Jumbo size BioPEDIC pillows with Ultra-Fresh also available on Amazon
- Please check "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME, only SOLD BY Amazon.com are guaranteed genuine Biopedic pillows manufactured by Soft-Tex; if you order from a different seller we cannot guarantee authenticity; if Law Label does not say Soft-Tex contact Amazon immediately
The BioPEDIC Pillow is 100% cotton cover with treated polyester fiber to prevent odor and stain causing bacteria.
The Amazon pillow is sold in packs of four with a standard size measuring 20-inch X 26-inch. The pillow is machine washable and made in the USA with imported materials. The fillings are certainly not as thick as other pillows, making the BioPEDIC Pillow a great candidate for those looking for a pillow that has less than average loft.
The pillow is hypoallergenic and uses anti-microbial, great for those who have had allergic reactions to previous pillows. The pillow is also machine washable.
For the 2-pack jumbo size BioPEDIC pillows, visit the Amazon page by clicking here.
- MADE IN THE USA - FULLY ADJUSTABLE - IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEP POSITIONS. BACK, SIDE, STOMACH. The NEW inner zipper allows you to ADJUST THE PILLOW THICKNESS to make it a perfect fit for YOU. - Whether you like it fluffy, flat or in the middle, simply open the zipper & remove some fill to have it your way. - FALL ASLEEP FAST and SLEEP BETTER than you ever have before!
- MICRO-VENTED KOOL-FLOW TECHNOLOGY BAMBOO COVER is soft as a cloud & provides superior air circulation and breathability while regulating temperature to KEEP THE PILLOW SURFACE COOL for the best sleep ever! No more sweaty faces - Experience extreme comfort with our memory foam pillow
- HYPOALLERGENIC - DUST MITE RESISTANT - MACHINE WASHABLE - Allergy sufferers no longer need to compromise comfort! Now you can have a memory foam pillow that is clean all the way through! - YOU & YOUR FAMILY DESERVE THE BEST BED PILLOWS! - Our pillows are BUILT FOR COMFORT, SUPPORT & DURABILITY!
- OUR MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS USE ONLY CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM & MEET STRINGENT STANDARDS for content, emissions & durability. They are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs. - SLEEP RESTFULLY knowing that our pillows for sleeping have NO ozone depleters, TCEP flame retardants, TDCPP, PBDEs, lead, mercury, and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, or CFCs - This assures you and your family are using a HEALTHY AND SAFE PRODUCT especially for those during pregnancy.
- ULTRA DELUXE PREMIUM QUALITY SHREDDED MEMORY FOAM will not become lumpy or go flat. It remains uniform in density, CONFORMING TO YOUR PERSONAL HEAD & NECK CONTOUR for a perfect nights sleep & returns to shape, night after night, - Because the foam is shredded, you can maneuver & mold your pillow so that it is comfortable for back stomach & side sleepers. - Promotes PROPER BACK, NECK & SPINE ALIGNMENT. Help BACK & NECK PAIN, TOSSING & TURNING, Insomnia, Migraines, Snoring and ORTHOPEDIC PROBLEMS.
The Xtreme Comforts Pillow is a shredded memory foam filling pillow that is hypoallergenic, machine washable, and never goes flat. The pillow is great for those who have allergy to other pillows. One of the biggest benefits of shredded memory foam is its firmness and ability to maintain its loft. Although the pillow may not be suited for those who do not enjoy firmer than usual pillows, the Xtreme Comforts Pillow is durable and provide solid support for the head and neck.
The pillow fillings are CertiPUR-US certified and tested as well by independent, accredited labs. The pillow cover uses a micro-vented cover with 43% bamboo for great airflow so the pillow can remain fresh for every night and throughout the night.
The Xtreme Comforts Pillow comes with a 6-year manufacturer warranty and a 30-day trial period with a money-back, no questions asked guarantee. The pillows are 7 inches in height and are three available sizes: standard (17-inch X 23-inch), queen (18-inch X 26-inch) and king size (18-inch X 33-inch).
Considerations When Shopping For The Best Pillows For Neck And Shoulder Pain
What position do you sleep? Pillows for side sleepers, back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and a combination of the few all need a different pillow. Side sleepers need pillows that are thick so that the neck and head can maintain a proper alignment. Back sleepers will need a pillow that has a slant or angle to support a good night’s rest because back sleepers are typically known to develop nighttime breathing disorders with gravity causing the tongue to block airways slightly. Stomach sleepers will need a pillow that is softer as the head is closer to the mattress. Combination sleepers will need to find out what position they sleep more frequently than not for finding and using the most optimal pillow.
What materials or type of pillow is best for you? There are a lot of material fillings and shells. Most top rated pillows use hypoallergenic, anti-microbial and dust-mite resistant material as shells such as cotton and bamboo to protect you from allergic reactions, itchy face, and other critters from joining you in bed. Memory foam is one of the most popularly recommended pillow type because of their resilience to going flat and providing the loft and thickness you need to relieve the pressure placed on your neck and head.
Shredded foam is certainly the more popular choice nowadays because it allows you to bend and mold the pillow as you need while providing airflow for a better temperature regulation. They also maintain their firmness pretty well compared to solid memory foam pillows.
However, this doesn’t mean other types of pillows are terrible alternatives. Waterbase pillows allow for adjusting the firmness and thickness of your pillow easily. Gel-filled can also provide a soft enough experience that memory foams cannot give. (Note: gel-filled is not literally gel, but rather the pillow uses micro fiber of memory foam as fillings.) Latex can also be an option, albeit firmer than most memory foam fillings.
What warranty or guarantee is in place to protect you? Manufacturer defects are inevitable. However, you may want a pillow that has a warranty in place upon purchase to assure exchanges if the pillow suddenly malfunctions and goes flat. The best pillows have trials and warranties in place. Most shoppers may not bother exercising their warranty and simply purchase a new pillow to save the trouble of restless nights.
Most popular pillows have a trial period of 30 days, but be prepared to pay for return shipping. The life span of a pillow is typically every two years, so whether a guarantee is for three years or more, you should aim to replace your pillow by that time frame.
How reputable is the company brand of the pillow being sold? The longer a company and its brand pillow has been around, the more likely their pillow is proven to be one of the best. However, on the flip side, companies that have been around selling the same pillow could be less innovative.
One of the major factors we examined when choosing the best pillow is what do others say about the product and how many are saying good or bad things. Some pillows may have a slight smell to them when you first receive them. Others may go flat sooner than others. However, when a large majority of pillow shoppers are purchasing a particular pillow and leaving good reviews, then that is a reassuring sign that the pillow is good. Certainly not the deciding factor, but an important signal nevertheless.
Who will be using the pillow? Pregnant women and young children need a different type of pillow. They may even need a selection of pillows within their reach. Because pregnant women is going through a miracle phase, they will need the pampering and support of their husbands. We cannot suggest the best pillow because preference can different greatly between women who are pregnant. However, you cannot go wrong with firmer pillows with softer pillows to be placed on the back to support the stomach area.
Children and toddlers, on the other hand, should not use a regular pillow. “Adult” pillows are designed to support adult heads and necks. Your child will need a children-specific pillow.
Our Final Thoughts
Pillows are one of the most important elements to good nights of sleep. Picking the right pillow can certainly be daunting with so many on the market. In this guide, we cover the top 10 pillows on Amazon based on popularity and good reviews. We also cover points of considerations you should take into account when shopping for the best pillow.
Although you may not get it right the first time, there are a wide range of pillows, pillow types, and company brands available for you. Start with these top 10, read and review what others say about the pillows, and test them out. Happy snoozing!