Sofa beds come in a variety of sizes, colors, and designs. They can be a great furniture for a living room, dorm space, and apartment. Sofa beds are a great economical choice as a three-in-one utility for both sitting, lounging, and for sleep.
They can also be a great addition for a bed for special guests and can also be used for yourself as needed. Slumber party guests can enjoy this type of bed which is why it is important to find a comfortable bed that works well for everyone. Most are made for everyday use are made to be durable and easy to clean.
Table of Contents
- Why Own A Sofa Bed?
- What You Can Consider When Shopping For Sofa Beds
- Reviews Of The Best Sofa Bed
- Our Final Thoughts
Why Own A Sofa Bed?
It may not be an easy choice to pick the right sofa bed. Once you own one, there are a lot of nice little features about their use and design. Here are a few advantages of owning a sofa bed:
- It can be used in multiple ways. You can transform your sofa bed into a sofa for sitting and lounging. After you’re done for the day, set it down, lay it open, throw on some bedsheets and pillows, then sleep for the night.
- They make great addition for minimalist interior designs. If you are all up and about the minimalism movement, sofa beds are a great multi-function furniture since they can serve for both sitting and having fun, sleeping during the night, used for yourself, or prepared for guests.
- Great for house guests to partying and for slumber parties. After an evening of partying, surprise your guests by popping down your sofa to reveal their amazing bed area for the night. “Omg what! So cool.”
- Sturdy and reliable compared to air mattresses. Sofa beds are built with bed frames that are strong, sturdy, and can support a high maximum weight limit that can usually support three average sized men in a sitting position, or one couple when sleeping.
What You Can Consider When Shopping For Sofa Beds
Here are a few points to consider when shopping around for a sofa bed:
- If space is a constraint, knowing the size available is important. It also helps decide how your space will appear by planning ahead.
- How many people you expect to sleep on the bed. Most can accommodate one or two people.
- Decide on a budget beforehand. This protects you from overspending, especially if there are other items on your shopping list.
- Other items you may need such as covers, pillows, bed sheets, and blankets.
- Everyday use or not. Durability will be an important factor. You will have to consider the type of cushions or mattress topper and whether you want full metal frames or not.
There are many comfortable beds on Amazon to choose from because of their growing popularity for sleeping during the night and as a sofa during the day.
Futons and sofa beds are very similar in how they are used. In our research and in this guide, we cover both pieces of furniture.
Reviews Of The Best Sofa Bed
1. Best Rated – DHP Emily Futon
- Modern look and design with chrome metal legs
- Split-back to suit your needs
- Easily converts from sitting to lounging and sleeping
- Black and vanilla available in faux leather, navy and grey available in linen.
- Pair the futon with the Emily Chaise Lounger for a queen sized sleeping space.
The DHP Emily Futon is an easily convertible sitting-to-lounging and sleep futon sofa bed, designed to be a pair to the Emily Chaise Lounger for a queen-sized sleeping space. The sofa is a split-back so you can have one half for sitting while the other for lounging or sleeping. The futon is designed with a modern look, using chrome metal legs and faux leather upholstery. Made in the USA, the futon comes up two sizes: chair (one person) and futon (two persons). The bed also comes in eight available colors.
The DHP Emily Futon has rounded edges and tufting textile design. The faux-leather material is easy to clean and cushions are full and firm to sit or to lay on. Cushions are made with polyester and foam filling. The futon dimensions when laid flat for sleeping are 71-inch by 44-inch with a height of 15 inches (constitutes as full-size for sleeping). The bed comes with a 1-year warranty.
2. With Thick Mattress – Better Homes and Gardens Futon
- Solid wood arms, Futon mattress bed has a sturdy and durable metal frame
- Converts to a comfortable full size sleeper. Soft twill-covered mattress available in Tan, Navy or Gray
- 8" (20.32 cm) futon mattress with independently encased coils included for superior comfort
- Weight limit: 600 lbs, Easy assembly required. Weight: 129.64 lbs
- Sofa dimensions: 82"L x 39"W x 39"H (208.28 cm x 99.06 cm x 99.06 cm), Sleeping dimensions: 75"L x 45"W x 21"H (190.5 cm x 114.4 cm x 53.34 cm), Box dimensions: 77.17"L x 29.92"W x 9.84"H (196.01 cm x 75.99 cm x 24.99 cm)
Better Homes and Gardens Futon is a wood-arm futon with an 8-inch thick coil mattress. Arguably one of the best quality bed available, the Better Homes and Gardens futon is a full-size sleeper with a wood finish, solid wooden arms and a metal frame for durability. There is over 500 independently encased coils under a layer of foam to provide a comfortable sleeping and sitting surface. The bed dimensions is 75-inch by 27-inch with a height of 27 inches.
The Better Homes and Gardens Futon comes in pieces with a little wrench, hex keys and bolts with washers for easy assembly, made of wood with a metal frame for a strong support, and can support a weight capacity of 600 pounds.
3. Best Value – Lucid Folding Mattress
- This folding foam mattress doubles as a sleeper and a chair, providing comfortable seating and serving as a convenient guest mattress in one
- Perfect to use for sleepover guests, camping, cabins, dorm rooms and children's playrooms
- Use as a mattress topper, portable cushion, and guest bed as a great alternative to futons, bunk beds and trundle beds
- Convenient carry handle for easy transport - removable, washable cover
- Full mattress measures 54" x 75" x 4" with folded dimensions of 26.75" x 54" x 12"
The Lucid Folding Mattress is a 4-inch mattress that acts both as a sleeper and chair. The largest size King/Twin X-Large has a sitting height of 8-inches with an additional 8 inches for sitting against. The Sofa is 75 inches wide. There are six available sizes.
When laid out for sleeping, the mattress can be folded in half and laid flat for dimensions of 75-inch by 39.5-inch with a height of 8 inches. When opened out completely flat, the dimensions are 79-inch by 75-inch with a height of 4 inches.
The Lucid Folding Mattress comes with an amazing 3-year warranty and handles on the side for easy moving. With a versatile design and removable zipper cover for machine washing, the mattress sofa-bed is great for overnight guests to sleep on and a cozy sofa.
4. Alternative Good Value – Milliard Folding Mattress and Sofa Bed
- Simple, but elegant alternative when full-size sofa beds aren't an option.
- Great for apartment dwellers, college dorms, family dens and when your traveling or anywhere else space is limited.
- Great for Video gaming, reading a book or camping and of course sleeping. Includes a removable and machine-washable soft cover!
- Made out of CertiPUR-US Certified high density Foam so your bed dosn't sag and is light and portable enough for use while travelling.
- Size: 78"x58"x4½ (Queen). Storage Dimensions are 58"x29"x14 which makes it easy to store in tight spaces.
The Milliard Folding Mattress and Sofa Bed is a simple alternative to full-size beds. Great for small apartments, college dorms and family dens, this bed is made with CertiPUR-US certified high-density foam that is light and firm enough for a comfortable sleep. The sofa is 9 inches off the floor when used for sitting and when laid flat, are available in two sizes: twin extra long and queen. The dimensions of the queen size is 14-inch thick by 59-inch height and 29-inch wide. The foam is 4.5 inches, encased in a 3D mesh cover made of 100% polyester for easy clean, and the removable cover uses zippers for machine wash as needed.
For a popular folding mattress just for sleeping, check out the twin-size Milliard 6-inch memory foam mattress by clicking here.
5. Inflatable – Intex Pull-Out Sofa Inflatable Bed
- Location, temperature, and humidity will affect the firmness of the airbed. Airbeds will need to be occasionally re-inflated (topped off) to maintain desired firmness when used for more than a few days as vinyl tends to relax over time.
- Measurements will vary based on the way in which the customer inflates the airbed. Airbeds are measured from the widest point including the beams (bulges) on the side and off the tallest point from the floor including built-in pillows if applicable.
- 2 quick inflation and deflation valves.comfortable backrest and armrest.
- Will seat and sleep two people folds compactly for storage.
- Upon deflating, pull-out sofa folds compactly for storage or travel
The Intex Pull-Out Sofa Inflatable Bed is a unique type of air bed. Built to be half-sofa half-bed, this bed offers both firmness, fun, and durability in one. The surface is made of felt coated vinyl with beams on all sides of the bed for support. There are two valves for quick inflation and deflation. It comes as three individual pieces for blowing up. However, the pump is sold separately.
When laid out, the Intex Pull-Out Inflatable Sofa Bed is a queen-size air mattress. Measurements are 76-inch by 87-inch with a height of 26 inches. It comes with backrest and armrest, and can seat or sleep two people 20 inches from the ground. Keep in mind as an air bed, it needs to be re-inflated every so often and must avoid sharp objects, such as branches, rocks, and pet claws.
Our Final Thoughts
The best sofa beds offer a great deal of utility. They are perfect for furnishing a living room, dorm room, or an apartment. You can sit as a sofa, use for lounging, or have special guests sleep over. Some people find themselves sleeping on them as well when they need some alone time. They make great additions to any home because of its multi-functionality. They can also welcome special guests and be used for yourself as well.
Looking for a new mattress for your current sofa bed? We recommend checking out our other guides on different mattress material types:
- Top 10 Best Memory Foam Mattress for 2018 – Poly-Popular and NASA-Famous!
- Top 7 Best Innerspring Mattress for 2018 – Bouncy, Supportive, and Durable
- Top 5 Best Latex Mattress for 2018 – Adaptable with Long-Lasting Comfort