Water pillows can be therapeutic and fun. For centuries, we have been stuffing our pillows with all sorts of stuff from buckwheat, cotton, goose and duck feathers. What about water? Most people believe water pillows are some sort of sloshy, inconsistent, leaking pillows, but this is far from the truth. By storing water in a sealed internal reservoir (bladder) with bundling it with other materials such as foam and fabric, water pillows provides a unique sleeping experience that molds well for comfort (great for neck pain) and offer tender sleeping surface. In this article, we look at what makes a great water pillow and recommend the best ones we found on the market.
Table of Contents
Types of Water Pillows
There are two types of water pillows which we are going to discuss below:
- Memory foam water pillow: The memory foam based water pillow does not have any pocket for storing water instead it has memory foam filling which is saturated with water. So you do not need to fill any tap water because the gel inside the pillow mimics the effect of soaking water in a pillow. This kind of pillow not only contours to the shape of your head and neck, in addition, but the gel also provides a cooling effect as well.
- Polyester pouch water pillow: This kind of water pillow is more commonly found and allows the user to fill tap water in the inbuilt pouch. The pouch is made up of polyester which is tucked under the hypoallergenic polyester filling, giving you the familiar feeling of a traditional pillow. The water inside the pouch prevents the pillow from collapsing under the weight of your head and thus maintaining its shape.
Are Water Pillows Right For Me?
Water pillows can be adjusted to suit your needs by regulating water inside the pouch. So whether you like a soft pillow or a firm one, you can increase the water levels or drain some to your liking.
- Freedom from body aches: Water pillows support your head and neck better than traditional pillows so that there is no tension in your muscles and you wake up with no body aches.
- Maintains temperature: The water inside the pillows helps to regulate the temperature and keeps it neutral so that you don’t wake up feeling too warm in the night.
- Suitable for all kinds of sleepers: Whether you sleep on your back, side or stomach, a water pillow adjusts its shape according to your movements.
- Stays firm for longer: Traditional pillows tend to lose their shape over time, but water pillows stay firm as long as there is water inside them.
Reviews of the Best Water Pillows
1. Mediflow Water Pillow
- Clinically shown to improve sleep and reduce neck pain
- Personalized support - adjusts to your perfect comfort level by simply adding water
- Water base adjusts as you move to maintain proper spinal alignment
- Machine washable with 300 thread count cover
- Jumbo 20 x 28 inches fits Standard or Queen Pillow cases, 3 year Warranty
The Mediflow Elite Waterbase Pillow is made up of polyester fiber filling which is supported by a thin water pouch that can be filled to a customized level. So you don’t have to worry about whether it will suit your needs or not because no other pillow provides the customization level that a Mediflow Elite Waterbase Pillow does. This pillow can be washed conveniently in the machine without any hassle.
What we like about the Mediflow Water Pillow:
- This pillow was ranked at the top of the list in a clinical study at John Hopkins University because the majority of the users stated that it helps alleviate neck pain and stiff shoulders.
- It is useful for those who suffer from night sweats or hot flushes.
- Easy to clean in the machine.
- Helps in Improving the quality of sleep.
- Continuously adjusts its shape according to your movements at night.
2. Chiroflow Premium Water Pillow
- Chiroflow Premium Waterbase Pillow Neck Pain
- #1 Chiropractic Recommended Pillow
- Clinically shown to reduce neck pain and improve quality of sleep*
- Uses ordinary tap water; does not require chemical additives
- Fits standard and queen size pillow cases
The Chiroflow Premium Water Pillow is made up of superior quality Dacron stalest fill fibers. Due to which it provides increased durability and comfort to the user. The water pouch in this pillow is encased in a thermal insulator which prevents heat loss and maintains and stable temperature. These water pillows come in standard single and queen sizes so you can fit them inside regular pillow covers.
What we like about the Chrioflow Water Pillow:
- Provides optimal cervical support to relieve neck pain.
- You can use tap water to fill these pillows.
- Superior quality filling lasts for a long time.
- Thermal insulation maintains the temperature.
3. Mediflow Gel Memory Foam Water Pillow
- Cool Gel Foam Top Layer
- Ventilated to Stay Cool All Night Long
- Special Foam Spring Center to Maintain Support
- Adjustable Water base Provides Adjustability to Any Level of Support
- Water base Responds to Head Movement Automatically as You Sleep for Proper Neck Support
For those in need of a thicker pillow and a huge fan of memory foams, the Mediflow second water pillow product is made with gel memory foam filling. This filling surrounds the built-in water chamber where water can be added straight from a tap. This pillow conforms to the shape of your head and neck very well, and as a memory foam pillow, is very suitable for side sleepers. The gel memory foam also has ventilation holes built in for better breathability, letting the pillow cool easier for better sleep.
What we like about the Mediflow Gel Memory Foam Water Pillow:
- Gel memory foam use ventilation holes for cooler sleeping surface
- Alleviates discomfort, fatigue, stress, tossing and turning during the night.
- You can adjust the firmness and thickness by draining or adding water.
Our Final Thoughts
Water pillows are far more superior than regular pillows because they increase the quality of your sleep, help to relieve discomfort, stress, and fatigue caused by inadequate support to the neck and spine. Water-based pillows come in a variety of options each of them can be customized according to your needs. The water pouch helps to retain the shape of the pillow and does not flatten out like regular pillows over time. Although these pillows tend to be heavier than other normal pillows, this should not be an issue unless you plan to carry your pillow everywhere. Sleep is one of the vital aspects of our existence and can either add to or deteriorate your overall health. Hence for a perfect night’s sleep, choosing the right pillow can make a world of a difference. You will feel fresh and rejuvenated after a good night’s sleep.