Everyone deserves a comfortable bed each night. Statistically, more Americans are sleep deprived and overworked each passing day. We can change this. The most comfortable bed for sleep can help reduce stress and provide a peace of mind so you can wake up feeling refresh and energetic. Since comfort is an important factor when it comes to mattresses, there are certain issues to consider when looking for the right comfortable mattress.
When you are get quality sleep, your mind and body can recover physically and mentally. Your immune system can rejuvenate fight off bacteria and viruses much better when you are well rested. Even an amazing beauty rest can make you look and feel good the next day, too.
Mattresses come in all different shapes and sizes. More so, each brand will have its own unique mix in material, density, and design.
Table of Contents
- The “Comfort” in Comfortable Mattresses
- Most Comfortable Mattresses – Top 10 Picks
- Considerations when Shopping for a Comfortable Mattress
- Common Frustrations with New Mattresses
- Final Thoughts
The “Comfort” in Comfortable Mattresses
Since everyone has their own taste and comfort preferences, we can look at what types of mattresses are suitable for you and in what way it will help you sleep better during the night.
Different Types of Mattress Available
When we talk about the different “type” of mattress, we refer to the material ingredients that make each mattress unique. In other words, we look at what is inside the mattress, underneath its cover. There are five types of mattresses:
Memory foam mattresses – This type of mattress is trending in popularity as the most sought after material mattress. What makes memory foam mattresses so attractive is that there is a wide variety of selection in different price ranges and how well they contour to the shape of your body. By molding to your body’s curves, the memory foams relieve common pressure points that can cause aches and pain, such as the shoulders and hips. Read more about memory foams on Wikipedia.
- The Good: Dense and can be firm. Conforms to the shape of your body to relieve pressure. Minimal transfer of motion and can make next to zero noise. Your partner can sleep undisturbed.
- The Bad: They can retain heat too well. Off-gassing (odor that comes from newly unwrapped mattresses) can be noticeable. The smell does, however, dissipate over time. Can have an uncomfortable “sinked in” feeling with difficulty getting up and off the mattress. Can form sagging or indentation if the foam quality is poor or overused.
Latex mattresses – Latex is a foam that comes from rubber trees. In its true form, it is a natural foam alternative. It is naturally hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant. The great thing about latex is that it does not retain heat well. This material also has a rapid response that can give you a comfortable bounce when you climb on or off your bed. Read more about latex extract on Wikipedia.
- The Good: Rapid response rate provides a pleasant bounce. Hypoallergenic. Inhibits the growth of nasty microorganisms and dust mites from inhabiting your mattress. Cannot retain heat well so there can be less build up.
- The Bad: Rapid response rate means slightly more pressure on those who suffer from pressure points. People with latex allergy cannot use this type of mattress. Bounce means motion transfer that can wake up your sleeping partner.
Innerspring mattresses – Also known as coil or spring mattresses, innerspring use metal coils in the base of the mattress to provide deep compression support throughout your bed. These mattresses are well known for the “bounce” that helps you get on and off the bed. There are many different coil constructs available. The most common are individually wrapped coils and the traditional bonnell mesh coils that are linked together. Read more about innerspring mattresses on Wikipedia.
- The Good: Innersprings can provide a reassuring support and pressure relief for your body. They are extremely buoyant and can give you a weightless feel whenever you hop onto your bed. The material is also extremely durable and, when used appropriately, provide lasting comfort.
- The Bad: They have a relatively shorter lifespan compared to other mattress types. Due to the nature of the coils, they tend to make a lot of sound. When you sleep with a partner, there can be motion transfer, thus waking up your partner.
Hybrid mattresses – As the name suggest, hybrid mattresses brings the best benefits of different materials. When someone talks about hybrid mattresses, they are typically thinking about half foam and half innerspring. A latex and memory foam combination is also known as a hybrid mattress.
- The Good: You can get the benefits of both worlds, like pressure relieving attribute and deep compression support from innerspring and memory foam hybrid mattresses.
- The Bad: Relatively more expensive. May not actually get the best of each material characteristics.
Air mattresses – Air beds make a great temporary sleeping area for those on the go. Happy campers tend to pick up a durable base air mattress to use outdoors and those who go on long road trips can whip out an their air mattress when needed. Air mattresses are also popular for guests because they are easy to set up and store away. They can also be greatly customized as you can adjust the amount of air pressure to change the firmness of your sleeping surface. Air mattresses is often used as an alternative bed for those struggling with physical minor ailments or chronic pain, such as post-surgery recovery or back pain. Read more about air mattresses on Wikipedia.
- The Good: An excellent, inexpensive choice for a temporary bed. Portable, easy to use, and easy to store. Known to be very comfortable.
- The Bad: One hole can make the air mattress unusable (can be repaired or must be replacement). Cannot be used frequently due to the nature of the air bed. Requires a pump (though some air mattress brands come with built-in pumps).
For this review, we exclude air mattresses. The nature of air mattress doesn’t allow for daily use because any damage can render the bed unusable until it is repaired or replaced.
Do You Have A Comfortable Mattress?
What is and isn’t comfortable can be very subjective. A mattress that works for someone else might not work well for you. However, we can agree that a comfortable mattress should not cause aches and pain or be disruptive to your rest in any way. There shouldn’t be any sagging that can create uncomfortable sleep positions. The right mattress shouldn’t get hot and cause nighttime sweating either.
An Oklahoma University old vs. new bed study shows that a new bedding system can significantly improve the quality and efficiency of your sleep. A new bedding system can also reduce back discomfort as well.
To find out whether your current mattress is in need of a replacement, here are five self-assessment questions you can ask yourself are:
- Are you getting full nights of sleep?
- Do you wake up or have trouble falling asleep due to heat?
- Is there enough space for you to adjust to different sleep positions?
- Are there noticeable sagging and lingering body impressions on your mattress?
- Has it been more than five years since you changed your mattress?
After answering these questions, if you deem your bed to be uncomfortable, then it is time to start searching for a new and comfortable mattress.
How Do You Find A Comfortable Mattress?
In this guide, we offer a starting point for your conquest. We aim to provide you with information to consider when shopping for your new mattress and provide highly rated, trusted brand mattresses to begin your research.
Our research involved reviewing over 10,000 customer reviews over two dozen mattress brands and 50+ mattress models. We also compared over dozens of other sources of personal reviews found online to create our list of the top 10 most comfortable mattresses on the market.
During our research, we found there can be a lot of biased marketing reviews online. Selling mattresses online is an enormous industry. According to a market research report published by IBIS World, the industry is $14 billion in size, with over 16,000 businesses catered to mattresses. You can imagine how much advertising and biased research can be found.
Here are a few criteria we worked by in order to find legitimate reviews and assess the mattresses we have listed:
- Reviews are critical and comes with photos for proof of purchases
- Sources demonstrate analysis from a critical perspective and covers multiple brands and models of mattresses
- Research sources are academic in nature and further our understanding of sleep
You can find the list in the next section below.
Most Comfortable Mattresses – Top 10 Picks
TEMPUR‐Cloud Prima Medium-Soft Mattress, King
- 10-Inch thick medium-soft mattress formulated from TEMPUR-ES material to provide support for your body and helps distribute body weight evenly across the mattress
- Designed with a Comfort Layer made from highly conforming TEMPUR-ES material to determine the feel of the mattress and works to allow for personalized comfort and support
- The SmartClimate System helps you stay comfortable during the night to draw moisture away, while the SmartClimate treatment in the inner cover provides cool to-the-touch comfort
- Designed with a high-loft, super-stretch premium fabric cover with grey upholstered sides
- The Base Layer of the mattress serves as the "base" for the TEMPUR material above it, and is also designed to help disperse heat from the mattress
SaleTuft & Needle Mattress, King Mattress with T&N Adaptive Foam, Sleeps Cooler & More Supportive Than Memory Foam Mattress, Certi-PUR & Oeko-Tex 100 Certified, Made in USA, Rated CR’s Best Buy Mattress
- ADAPTIVE FOAM: Constructed with freshly poured T&N Adaptive foam, this king size mattress provides a bouncy yet supportive feel perfect for all sleeping positions. Our foam allows us to compress our mattress to fit into a small box and shipped quickly.
- HIGH QUALITY: Our high-grade foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam which cause you to "sink in and feel stuck" and "sleep hot." The T&N Adaptive foam sleeps cool, is just the right mix of "not too soft, and not too hard", and offers great pressure relief and "localized bounce" so you won't disturb your sleeping partner.
- NO RISK: Mattress has a full refund guarantee with a 100 Night Sleep Trial plus an honest, 10-year warranty you can actually use (no gimmicks); Over 95% of our customers keep their mattress and refer it to others.
- NOTE: Please allow up to 72 hours for the mattress to fully expand and for any potential odor to dissipate. please update.
SaleCasper Sleep Mattress – Supportive, Breathable and Unique Memory Foam – Scientifically Engineered for your Best Sleep - Bed in a Box - King
- Cool by Design - Open-cell top layer uses convection and conduction to move heat away from your body while memory foam layer leverages airflow to extract heat, leaving you cool and comfortable
- Pressure Relief - High-density memory foam supports pressure points, leaving you well rested without the aches and pains
- Base layer strengthens top layers and adds long-lasting durability
- NOTE: Please allow up to 72 hours for mattress to fully expand and for any potential odors to dissipate
Leesa Mattress, King, 10inch Cooling Avena and Contouring Memory Foam Mattress, Supportive Multi-Layer Design, 100 Night Trial and 10 Year Warranty
- LUXURY: Expertly crafted to create a luxury feel and look that appeals to every body
- COOLING COMFORT: Three layers of high quality foam deliver cooling bounce, contouring pressure relief and core support for amazing sleep, night after night.
- MADE IN USA: #1 rated Direct-to-Consumer mattress in America's leading consumer rating publication. Products proudly made in USA
- GUARANTEED: Because we know it takes more than one night to fall in love, you have 100 nights with Leesa to decide, or return it for a full refund.
- GIVING BACK: We give one mattress to homeless shelters for every ten we sell
Ghostbed Mattress-King 11 Inch-Cooling Gel Memory Foam-Mattress in a Box-Most Advanced Adaptive Gel Memory Foam–Coolest Mattress in America-Made in the USA–Industry Leading 20 Year Warranty
- EXPERTISE: For over 15 years our experts have focused on sleep innovation by creating the world's most advanced adaptive gel memory foam mattress to meet your individual needs. A mattress is a long-term investment. The GhostBed is the highest quality, lowest cost luxury latex and gel memory foam mattress on the market today. Buy with Confidence with our 20 year warranty.
- DESIGN: The GhostBed has a medium-firm feel and is packed with supernatural comfort and crafted with 11" of ultra premium foams: 1.5" continuous aerated latex, 2" 4lbs superior technology cooling gel memory foam and 7.5" extra high density support foam. The removable cover is plush yet durable and is zippered for easy removal and care.
- FEATURES: The coolest mattress in America, Made in USA. For the best sleep experience checkout our other GhostBed sleep products: GhostBed Foundation, GhostPillow and GhostBed Mattress Protector (all sold separately).
- BENEFITS: Overwhelmingly GhostBed customers absolutely love the feel of their bed and rave about their new sleep experience and you will too! Sleeping on a GhostBed is like floating on air, cool and comfortable, free of pressure and the aches and pains that keep you up at night. With a 100 night sleep trial, free returns, a 20 year warranty and backed by Amazon, what do you have to lose?
SaleSnuggle-Pedic Mattress That Breathes - Patented Airflow Transfer System, Kool-Flow Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Cover, USA Orthopedic Flex-Support Memory Foam, 4-Month Sleep Trial & 20-Year Warranty (King)
- The PATENTED AIRFLOW TRANSFER SYSTEM works by creating 100 TIMES THE BREATHABILITY of other mattresses that only use ventilation holes or channels, but not both and do not connect the two like the ONLY THE SNUGGLE-PEDIC MATTRESS does!
- Our Flex-Support Technology Gives The PRESSURE RELIEF of a Memory Foam/Gel Mattress, Only it is EASIER TO MOVE AROUND ON like a traditional mattress and MORE SUPPORTIVE. 100% MADE IN THE USA and CertiPUR-US Certified ECO-FRIENDLY and VERY LOW V.O.C.
- PRESSURE RELIEVING SURFACE WITH EXTRA SUPPORTIVE & FIRMER LOWER LAYER gives you the perfect balance and universal comfort. Compare to Tuft & Needle, Leesa, Sleep Innovations and Casper to see the difference for yourself!
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Rolled & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping &120-NIGHT NO HASSLE REFUND GUARANTEE. ALL USA MADE HIGH QUALITY WITH INDUSTRY LEADING 20-YEAR WARRANTY and FREE CUSTOMIZATIONS and EXCHANGES. PLEASE CHECK "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME, ONLY SNUGGLE-PEDIC PRODUCTS SOLD BY RELIEF-MART, INC. ARE GUARANTEED GENUINE AND WILL BE BACKED BY OUR WARRANTY, 4-MONTH SLEEP TRIAL, AND FREE PERSONAL CUSTOMIZATION POLICY
- KING SIZE ZIPPER REMOVABLE COVER SYSTEM ALLOWS FIRMNESS ADJUSTMENT LAYER EXCHANGES THAT WE OFFER COMPLETELY FREE IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE SUPPORT OR COMFORT. Our Kool-Flow Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% viscose of bamboo, 56.4% polyester, .6% lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG!
SaleUltimate Dreams King Eurotop Latex Mattress
- 12" Eastern King Talalay Latex Mattress with a zipper cover Eurotop to make Latex Interchangable
- Talalay Latex and High Density Base Foam
- Mattress is Made in the USA
- Talalay Latex is naturally hypoallergenic, dust-mite resistant and antimicrobial
- All Latex Mattresses custom tailored to your desired firmness see product description below. After purchase you will be contacted to customize the firmness level on your latex mattress.
SaleSerta Perfect Sleeper Elite Luxury Firm 800 Innerspring Mattress, King
- Designed to help solve 5 common sleep problems: tossing and turning, back support and alignment, balanced sleep temperature, partner movement, sagging
- Comfort or Feel: Medium
- Cool Action Gel Memory Foam
- Individually Wrapped Coil Innerspring
- King Size Measures 80 inches x 76 inches x 12 inches; Requires two King foundations or platform bed for complete set
SaleKing Mattress, Adapt2U Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress, 10 inch, LazyCat
- Dynamic Designed Cutting Foam: It is YOU that need to be adapted, not the MATTRESS!
- High Density Memory Foam (CertiPUR-US): Provide support up to 400lbs in weight.
- Temperature Controlled Fabric (Oeko-Tex100 & Swiss HeiQ): You will never worry about feeling too cold or waking up sweating.
- 15-year Warranty for Quality: You can be assured of our QC, with 80,000 times bounce tests, fabric test, subsidence test and edge support tests, etc.
- Mattress in small box: Easier to carry and open.
SaleWinkBeds Mattress For Sale - Best Rated Mattress - Mattress Warehouse - Foam Mattress + AirSprings + Gel Hybrid, 100% CertiPure, Medium/Firm Mattress Like Hotel Mattress
- WinkBeds is a super premium mattress company that only sells online.
- We utilize a factory-direct model to keep our costs low and pass on those savings to customers.
- Each mattress is handcrafted in the USA, per order. Best-in-industry 101 night free trial period.
- Our hybrid bed combines six distinctive features only found in high end bedding.
- Top industry score for Durability. Perfect for all sleep postures.
Considerations when Shopping for a Comfortable Mattress
Since only you can determine what is comfortable, trying several types of mattresses is important. If it has been some time since you purchased a new mattress, you should keep in mind that the body also changes over time. Someone in their 40s might not have the same sleep surface preference as someone who is in their 30s or 20s.
Shopping online also doesn’t lend you the luxury of trying multiple mattresses at a time, so if any time you are shopping for a new mattress, you should consider visiting your local bed store and lie down on a few to get a sense of how comfortable they might be.
Here are a few more tips to help you find the right mattress:
Check the return policies of your particular mattress model – Recognizing that not all mattresses are right for everyone, a growing number of mattress brands are providing trial nights (usually 100) for shoppers. However, before you buy you should always know what return policies are in place to reduce the risk of a potentially upsetting purchase. If you buy from retailers like Amazon, you should know that it is the consumer that needs to prepare the mattress for shipping.
Understand the warranty – Nowadays, most mattress brands offer more years on warranty coverages. The least expensive mattresses may not have any warranty at all. Although any noticeable sagging or indents may be covered by most “limited manufacturer warranties”, you should carefully read and understand what changes to your mattresses can be covered. Most warranties include protecting you from manufacturer defects that include deep body impressions past a particular measurement or incomplete stitching.
You can accept or refuse a delivery order (and not sign) if there is damage – Most if not all deliveries will be done by a third party. Your mattress may be placed on the curbs or brought to your bedroom if you include an order of a white glove delivery. However, if you notice or receive damage to your mattress, you can refuse the delivery order and not sign the receipt. Let the delivery team know and contact a representative at your mattress brand to let them know about the damage so a replacement can be sent to you right away.
Common Frustrations with New Mattresses
Fumes or off-gassing odors – You may notice an odor from your new mattress. Most mattress buyers will be turned off by the smell. Give your mattress at least 24 to 48 hours to expand from having been compressed for shipping, then 2 to 4 weeks for the smell to dissipate.
Mattress is too heavy to carry to bedroom – When you order a new mattress, you should be prepared to have at least two people carry it to your bedroom. Alternatively, you can order a white glove delivery service at an additional cost to have your mattress brought into your bedroom and have it set up for you.
New mattress is too firm or uncomfortable – It is normal for a brand new mattress to feel firmer than you expected. All new mattress need time to settle and a period of 2 to 4 weeks to break in. However, be sure to check the mattress company return policy so you know what options you have available in case you need to make a return.
If you’re in need of a comfortable mattress, we aim to provide you relevant and concise information on making the best mattress purchase. Although what makes a mattress comfortable will differ from person to person, there are certain things that can be done to ensure we find the best comfortable mattress for you. From trying out different mattresses at a local bed store to understanding the different types of mattresses, this guide aims to provide you with insights and options for making a buying choice, and share with you what makes a mattress comfortable and right for you.
Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please let us know below or reach out to us.